Car Boot

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Dublo

Car Boot

Postby Dublo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Hello all
We attended our first car boot sale of the season today, we were buyers only today. I found some bargain acrylic paint a Citadel miniatures starter kit six paints, a brush, a palette and five figures for a pound. I also picked up a Linka Brickwork kit from 1980, all complete apart from mixing bowl. Six moulds including roofing. For the princely sum of five pounds it seemed like a good price. Is Linka still being made if so anyone know where possibly further moulds could be purchased. I assume that the modelling compound contained within the set is now past its best, so what are you Linka fans using now.

End2end

Re: Car Boot

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Good haul! :mrgreen:
https://www.scalecast.co.uk have picked up the Linka baton as it were. I buy TUFFCAST powder direct from them to cast with.
They are also introducing new moulds which work alongside the original moulds, plus moulds for other scales now too including N,00,O and 28mm (wargame) scale.
Hope it helps.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks for the information End2 I shall take a look at scalecast site. Unsure what to do with the set keep it or sell it on. The paints I shall certainly be using.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:34 pm

My pleasure Dublo. ;)
Also, if considering selling the Linka set on ebay, I've noticed, you will get more (modelling funds :mrgreen: ) by selling each mould seperatly.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:47 pm

I have many old sets and yes the plaster is way past its best (tabs will break off as you demould)
If you do use it, I buy herculite 2 (probably what tuffcast is), I can give you my supplier.
The gutters windows etc from the set are all also ebay sellerable! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi Timber
I am thinking of experimenting with the moulds I have. I've a few ideas, some low relief Terraced housing to start with. I would be grateful for any advice and indeed your supplier of Herculite 2. Are there many more Linkalites amongst us.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:17 pm

There are a lot of suppliers of various grades of casting plaster, I used maragon.co.uk as thier site has some great write ups about casting and the different grades and their properties, others may be cheaper, the more you buy, the cheaper it gets.
I would suggest Herculite 2, I got Herculite stone and its a bit too hard, makes scribing in it later very hard!
Don't mix batches together (the part set make the second go off as quick!)
Clean mould thoroughly and soap with a dilute mix of washing up liquid and water before use. Wait til just about to set (10-20mins) and scrape the back flat, lumpy backs make life hard later. You can use PVA to glue them but don't use neat, dilute, so it sinks in. If you are careful, you can cast and de-mould within 30 mins! Don't use the Linka file, it just snaps the fingers off! Use a small metal file instead (takes a bit longer but makes no casualty's)
I think the roof tiles are to thick, so I would use plasticard for the roof. UHU and Bostic also work as the glue. Be aware that any glue that oozes out of the joint will take paint differently than the plaster, in which case you need a base primer before applying the topcoat colours.
I paint the whole thing in the "mortar" colour, then dry brush the bricks with the desired colour/s. Paint windows last.

I think it's just me and E2E that are into it, but you never know about the lurkers! :lol:

P.S. subscribe to the scalecast newsletter for updates and offers.

P.P.S Maragon will send free samples of what you want when you place an order for 1 item.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:33 pm

TimberSurf wrote: maragon.co.uk

Thanks for that link for the Herculite 2 Timbersurf. That's a lot cheaper than I've been paying for Tuffcast. ;)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:17 am

Hello
Yes thanks very much Timber for the link and to both you and End2 for your advice.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:28 am

TimberSurf wrote:I buy herculite 2 (probably what tuffcast is)

Can I just ask a question on this as I am a bit confused. :?
I've just been looking on both the scalecast site and the maragon site.
The scalecast site sells Herculite 2 but also sells Tuffcast. - https://www.scalecast.co.uk/store/c17/C ... cts.html#/
The maragon site sells Herculite 2 and Herculite LX. - http://www.maragon.co.uk/crafts.html#Init

Just by the by, I bought Tuffcast the last time round from scalecast.

My question is, how could Herculite 2 be the same as Tuffcast if they are different products on the scalecast site?
Would Herculite XL not be the same stuff as Tuffcast instead, rather than the Herculite 2?

Also what are the actual differences? Do any shrink when being cast for example or is it nothing to really worry about?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 am

E2E, I was just guessing, I simply assumed it was stronger.
The key, is the quoted values of N/mm2 (Newtons per millimetre squared) compressive strength
Scroll to the bottom of the Maragon site and also quoted by Scalecast
Herculite No2 - 31 N/mm2
Tuffcast - 40 N/mm2
Crystacast = Tuffcast Extra - 55 N/mm2

I got a sample of Herculite Stone 45 N/mm2, it is very strong, but is therefore hard to file and scribe!

Setting expansion is also quoted, and as you can see, very little and virtually no difference between them all

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks for the in depth information Timbersurf. :)
So I'll probably buy the Herculite 2 from maragon next time I need some powder rather than the more expensive Tuffcast from scalecast.
It worked out at only 16 pence more for 5kgs of powder + pnp on the maragon site compared to only 2kgs of powder + pnp on the scalecast site.
That's over double the amount of powder for almost the same price! :o

Lay me a continuos loop...........I'm shopping around!! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun May 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Carboot.... How about the rest of the car? :lol:

Here is my vehicle. I am so relieved as I can now get out and about again. :)

And yes. The other car is the same. Is my brothers car. His is a little 3 cylinder petrol version that doesn't half go for such a small engine (1100cc). Mine is a 4 cylinder diesel version which I think is a 1500cc.It has go as well. Not sure how quick it is as I have not had it long.
It is nice. :) The good thing is with these cars is that the rear seats unclip and are removed to give a van like vehicle is desired. Ideal for a car boot sale or transporting portable layouts etc.
Attachments
IMG_20190505_150514_906.jpg

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”