Making minories in settrack?

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Hymirl

Re: Making minories in settrack?

Postby Hymirl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Bufferstop wrote:That was station number 3 for Portishead and there have been rumblings and mutterings about building station number 4, as they demolished number 3 just as the place started growing, now they are all complaining about how long it takes to get into Bristol of a morning. total lack of foresight as usual.

I think they complaints about closure started the day passenger services where taken away. Apparently it was fairly well used...

roganty wrote:As part of "MetroWest" they are going to reopen the line into Portishead and build a new station.
Due to either luck or good planning the line has been left unbuilt on, and they have left a space for the new station.

Anthony
(From the other side of the river Avon)

Yes, the line has been 5 years away from reopening ever since it closed to passengers! The local council has doggedly blocked attempts to build on the land the BR station was on to keep options open but railtrack won't allow a level crossing over a road that crossed the line so the current plan is a basic single track with bufferstop and bus shelter... recently repromised to come about 5 years away!

Anthony, as a local have you seen the preservation group reopening the Berkeley branch line? I just signed up as volunteer!

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:47 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:the snaking effect of full length Mark 1 coaches is noticeable.

It's worth pointing out that it was designed by CJF as a secondary town/city terminus and so Mk1s wouldn't have been the normal type of stock used. More likely 57' suburban coaches or even 4 wheelers. On that basis set track points could be used, but as ever with layouts the larger the radius used the better it will look...

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Definately helps having shorter coaches, I did some measuring a while back! For even shorter rtr coaches you're pretty much looking at Bachmann's Thomas range.

Hymirl wrote:Ancient hornby mk1 = 26cm
Hornby railroad GWR collett = 24cm
Bachmann mk1 suburban = 24cm
Bachmann 'Ambulance' midland = 23.5
Hornby Gresley Suburban = 21.4cm
Hornby (1989 manufacture) celestory = 19cm
Lima LMS parcel van mere 18cm

From thread https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53639&start=30

roganty

Postby roganty » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Bufferstop wrote:That was my impression when driving in to Portishead, whether or not it was on the original line I wouldn't know, but there's definitely room for a modern terminal station. (ie. platform and bufferstop).

This Street view from September 2015 clearly shows the rails are still there (looking towards Bristol, behind is the proposed station area)
Zoom out to satellite view and you can follow the lines of trees/bushes along the line right back to Pill

Hymirl wrote:Yes, the line has been 5 years away from reopening ever since it closed to passengers! The local council has doggedly blocked attempts to build on the land the BR station was on to keep options open but railtrack won't allow a level crossing over a road that crossed the line so the current plan is a basic single track with bufferstop and bus shelter... recently repromised to come about 5 years away!

I had heard about the "no new level crossing" policy as well.
There is also the one where the curves around Avon gorge are too sharp to run nothing more than 1 train an hour.

Hymirl wrote:Anthony, as a local have you seen the preservation group reopening the Berkeley branch line? I just signed up as volunteer!

It's not something I have heard about, but it is something worth keeping an eye on.

Anthony
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 pm

An article from around the same time as Minories was first published showed how to take two Triang suburban coaches and turn them into a three coach articulated set with not much more than a razor saw, some plasticard and a bottle of MEKPAK. It was before the clerestories had been produced but they would be even better as if the cuts are made through the narrower panels it's much easier to hide any filling and smoothing that may be needed. The early Triang coaches were always under length, usually being short of one compartment. Some refurbishment and fitting flush glazing would produce something suiting the 1920s/30s period.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 am

Bufferstop wrote:a bottle of MEKPAK.

A whole bottle?!! You'd have melted them down with that much!! :lol:

(Sorry, couldn't resist!) ;)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:58 pm

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

That's what happens if you leave the top off whilst using it :twisted:
I've got a jar of something even worse, one of the plumbers had to be helped out of the loft and taken to A&E whilst joining plastic pipes with it. You can tell which PVC window ledge ends were stuck in with something else. They've all fallen out and had to be reglued.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 am

roganty wrote:I had heard about the "no new level crossing" policy as well.
There is also the one where the curves around Avon gorge are too sharp to run nothing more than 1 train an hour.

Yes the track is intact up to quays avenue, although in a poor state since the gwr centenary was the last train to actually come that far down the branch.

In previous pasenger option both platfoms at portishead were used simultaneously, Pill station was used to let trains pass as did Clifton Down. It was fairly intensive at certain points!
Admittedly attempting minories like suburban intensity operations is a work of fuction still!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am

Need new crossings on the level, tight curves along the route, sounds like a job suited to the tram/train solution.

roganty

Postby roganty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Need new crossings on the level, tight curves along the route, sounds like a job suited to the tram/train solution.

I believe it has been discussed 11/10 Bristol Post and 17/10 North Somerset Times.
This is a good site for keeping up to date if you are interested.

Hymirl wrote:Yes the track is intact up to quays avenue, although in a poor state since the gwr centenary was the last train to actually come that far down the branch.

A good number of years ago there was a special passenger train, but it terminated at Pill
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”