Layout Thoughts

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
carljohnson1983

Layout Thoughts

Post by carljohnson1983 »

Afternoon All,
What I am thinking was something like this....
http://www.freetrackplans.com/Hornby-6G.php

I have a 9x4 board, and planning on having more then one train in my collection, question is do you think I am limiting myself to one loop? Should I be thing of two?

Carl
Hymirl

Re: Layout Thoughts

Post by Hymirl »

Seems nice although kind of boring, (not that you should fill all the space with track). I'm personally not a fan of hornby platforms as they're pretty limiting.

You have enough space for a double track, if you like watching trains go around I'd include that. But if you like seeing a gentle pre 1960s branchline in the countryside you have that perfectly.

Either way I'd recommend a backscene to hide rains going around non stop and give you space for storage loops to keep other trains out of sight!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

It all depends on what you want to do.
Are you interested in the building of a scenic piece of countryside with the odd train running
through, or is all you want to do is run trains round and around. I know which I find boring.

I'd be happy enough with a single line oval, but with the space you have available I'd try to
include the equivelent of a shunting puzzle where you could entertain yourself shunting to
the requirement of location cards.

A passing loop would be nice to operate single track, but running one train in each direction.

As I started with It all depends what you fancy doing

Geoff T.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Have a look at 6i hornby