JAMES MAY'S BIG TROUBLE IN MODEL BRITAIN 06/03/19

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: JAMES MAY'S BIG TROUBLE IN MODEL BRITAIN 06/03/19

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:33 am

Whilst you wait to get to see the programmes down under, a lttle explanation.
The 4 metre high banners on the outside of Rails stand at Warley which completely overshadowed Hornby's stand when viewed from the entrance, led to a verbal punch-up, which was great to watch knowing that Simon K had got Hornby's Terrier "up his sleeve" to announce in the coming month. His acceptance that there was nothing to be done about it, walking away with just "OK. have a great show" was delicious. I'm sure that the two programmes will have done much to restore Hornby's image within the hobby.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:51 am

Although I went to Warley on the Sunday I didn't notice Rails overshadowing Hornby at all. I knew both they and Hattons would be there and planned to check out all three in any event.

Perhaps I'm just an advertiser's nightmare in that I generally know what I want, go for it, and don't let advertising affect me (in fact it never ceases to amaze me how Company Boards sanction some of the crass advertising on television - particularly those where the company name is only apparent from the small print at the bottom of the screen!).

Nevertheless a thoroughly absorbing programme.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

Bufferstop wrote: As far as the 66 goes it is just providing exactly what so many on here have asked for, a basic "no frills" loco that will look the part in motion when viewed from around three feet. Sounds just the sort of "in tune" decision that Simon K was known for.

It will be interesting, I can understand hattons getting irritated but the price points are so far apart (~£100 difference) that there is space for both one at each end of the market - unlike the terriers who are going head to head.

The results of the two class 66's will answer the "no frills" loco debate & could influence future announcements/plans so while its upset hattons the outcome could be worth it for the hobby as a whole.

Bufferstop wrote: "OK. have a great show" was delicious.

I have to say i loved this bit :lol:

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 am

Technically the Hornby models are Class 59 as there are detail differences between them and the class 66 but as SK says the price point is the crux of the matter. Not everybody wants the all singing all dancing version or for that matter can afford one. Also I feel Simon has a point when he says that Hattons have become manufactures as well as retailers, witness the dispute between Bachmann and Hattons. Rails are also manufactures now as well as retailers so there may well be issues there as I believe Hornby are looking into the situation.
Bachmann also have "flooded" the market with versions of their own 66 so as they say let battle commence.

After all it is only toy trains

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

The discussion over the minute error in the taper of the Terriers dome got me. It was a tiny amount but was very obvious from some angles, cue for much swearing from the toolmakers. I wonder if it was deliberate to try to improve the release from the mould.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:19 pm

i didn't notice it enough to bother me and thought it was a bit of an over reaction (i fall into the generally looks OK and i am happy rather then historically accurate) but it was his point about it being in the range for years to come & that it was important to get it right that made sense. Well that and they cant really give rails any ammunition now they are directly competing with them :lol:

edit:
the design process for the car was interesting to follow, it surprised me that the 3D printed sample was still shipped from China - the big plus point of 3D printing is the speed so i had assumed if Hornby used one they would have it in house for quick prototyping

The wheel/axel issue shows the importance of this step.

Meister

Postby Meister » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 pm

A better programme than the previous one. The same narrative remains though, i.e. the previous management messed up, everything was rosy before that and just in the nick of time the dynamic duo of LD and SK rides in to save the day. Not really true but good for PR. Corgi yet again did not receive a single mention. The clashes between SK and Mr Rails and Mr Hattons made for good viewing but on RM Web there is some debate re. how the characters came across, particularly 'sly' SK. 8/10 for this episode, 6/10 for the previous one according to my scoring system.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Phat Controller wrote:I don't have Pay TV, Foxtel, or whatever you call it over there, so I have to wait til someone throws the episode up online.

IQ > 80? Two 'words'. VPN. iPlayer. Sorted.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm

was anyone else confused about that "professional" layout? are the builders limited to only using hornby products for those? or was its purpose to look like the kind of thing literally anyone can build?

and more specifically why were they using a massive screwdriver to apply that awful looking glue?

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Michaelaface wrote:was anyone else confused about that "professional" layout? are the builders limited to only using hornby products for those? or was its purpose to look like the kind of thing literally anyone can build?

and more specifically why were they using a massive screwdriver to apply that awful looking glue?

Initially I felt the same as you but then I realised that it was probably only wanted as a short term marketing prop and probably only cost the money reflecting that. I expect it's in a skip somewhere now.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote: I expect it's in a skip somewhere now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm

After the first episode I wasn’t going to bother watching the second. A friend suggested I did however and it was a far better effort, much more interesting and less silly commentary. I don’t dislike James May but he really does need to say less at times: he got the balance just about right in episode two.

Incidentally, RMWeb has closed all comment and deleted the lot. What happened there?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 pm

Lysander wrote:After the first episode I wasn’t going to bother watching the second. A friend suggested I did however and it was a far better effort, much more interesting and less silly commentary. I don’t dislike James May but he really does need to say less at times: he got the balance just about right in episode two.

Incidentally, RMWeb has closed all comment and deleted the lot. What happened there?

Tony

Something A York didn't agree with?
Pete.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:21 am

I tried the link he gave at the end...to no avail...

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am

Peterm wrote:
Lysander wrote:After the first episode I wasn’t going to bother watching the second. A friend suggested I did however and it was a far better effort, much more interesting and less silly commentary. I don’t dislike James May but he really does need to say less at times: he got the balance just about right in episode two.

Tony

Something A York didn't agree with?

Seems to still be there and open for me? I think he locked it for the duration of the broadcast, for whatever reason.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”