Ballast Magic

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
thirdline

Ballast Magic

Post by thirdline »

Has anyone used Ballat Magic? I’ve been using it on a test piece of track, it’s worked well but the grey ballast I used is now darker than it was, I followed the instructions but I’m wondering if anyone has tried it without darkening the ballast.
Mountain

Re: Ballast Magic

Post by Mountain »

Never tried it myself. I would have to look it up to see what it is! Hopefully someone who has used it sees this and can answer.
End2end

Post by End2end »

I painted my baseboard tops black and used the 50/50 PVA water mix method for my ballast. The ballast seems to have taken on the black of the paint beneath and is now much darker. So if you have previously painted the baseboard it may be taking up the paint in the ballast magic changing its colour.
If that's the case there's no real reason to buy an expensive product when PVA / Water mix will do the same.
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is quite common for those of us who use traditional stone ballast for it to change a shade darker after the glue has set. I have had that in the past. I didn't mind but it depends on the look one wants.
Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

Its often reported that when using the usual PVA/Water mix with granite chips they they take on a green hue when dry, I have always suspected that that might be down to the common practice of adding washing up liquid to help break the surface tension and possible through the use of green washing up liquid, I always use either a clear washing up liquid or photographic wetting agent which is also clear and never had issues with ballast changing colour.

Back on topic, I have tried Ballast Magic but find I ended up adding some 50/50 PVA/Water because it did not stick as well I like, although I suspect that on its own it would be easy to remove for the re-use of track should it be needed.

I also like Deluxe Materials Ballast Bond which does stick well and dries with a proper MATT finish, still trying to find out what it actually is as its PVA based and acts more like an acrylic product, I suspect its based on something like a watered down acrylic matt varnish.

Paul
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Using PVA/Ballast Magic/Ballast bond all leave a coating on the top surface of the ballast. The reason being they are all thick and leave a thick residue on the surface like a varnish. Having a coating of clear varnish changes the way light reflects from the surface, think of a plain piece of wood is dull, the grain is not pronounced, but shows up the grain when varnished, the same effect can be seen on stone when dry and wet, wet always looks darker and picks out the grain structure. (some types of) granite is slightly green. Adding washing up liquid does reduce surface tension and allows the glue to seep into all the crevices and also allows the glue on top of the surface ballast to slip off easier and give a thinner coating. However, presoaking the ballast with IPA is FAR more effective at reducing surface tension and allows better saturation and even less glue remains on the surface of the rock!
Both proprietory makes and basic PVA will both benefit from a pre soak with IPA. A proven method that enhances any type of glue.
Not ballasting, but a exactly the same methodology is shown in my video.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!