Metropolitan Bo-Bo

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Re: Metropolitan Bo-Bo

Post by GWR_fan »

On further reading, if one wanted to run 'unprototypical' teak livery rolling stock then a wartime grey model would be needed (some apparently remained in grey until withdrawn). The first postwar maroon repaint did not occur until December, 1953 with #16.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

GWR_fan wrote:Matt,
not releasing #12 at the outset seems like a good marketing exercise to me. Many would want #12, but by releasing the other numbers first Heljan get increased sales as people will make impulse buys of the other numbers and then purchase #12 when released at a later date.

I had no real interest in the locomotive but it does grow on one even though no justification for the purchase. Like most with no metropolitan rolling stock, I would stick a rake of teak Gresley coaches behind it, plus possibly some nationalisation teaks as well. Though not prototypical I feel it would give the right impression.
I don't really agree personally as £100 - 109 is quite a bit of money to spend on a model, and you know when announced I order 12...as it was of interest to me as I have seen it running the various tours, now most will want that due to seeing the real thing, or like one gent I met a few days ago he was a LT driver on it.
I ordered mainly because I was interested but now because they cancelled and delayed it, certainly isn't on the second batch which has already been announced, so I have used that money else where on other models... so they loose a customer, especially when they have the tooling already for the different equipment for the chassis, then doesn't make any sense to me.
It leaves those people who ordered originally wondering why, and a bit confused, especially if they get a model they never ordered. I expect that despite what they say it will probably be a special adding another £50 - 100 to the price, if they do that then sadly not interested, I would rather build a kit personally but at this time I am busy building commissions for people.

Luckily for me I have quite a bit of rolling stock, Chesham set, E-Class, LT pannier, some wagons ect... might want to check that out ;)
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Matt,
with your knowledge, are the latest two maroon bo-bo releases in Metropolitan livery pre-1933. I assume then that London Transport models are post 1933, with the maroon LT liveries being post-December, 1953 (when #16 was painted from the wartime grey livery).

As regards marketing, if sales were basically saturated with just #12, then there would be little incentive to release other numbers. Thus by releasing other than #12, impulse purchases from initial releases, ensure increased sales, as those who really want #12 will purchase it even though they may have previously purchased other numbers. Given the anticipated demand for #12, I cannot see it being a limited release. It may well be a commission given the 'market saturation' with earlier releases. Thus Heljan take a minimal financial risk by releasing the locomotive, leaving a private party to bankroll #12 at a later date.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

The 2 new ones which are already in at Hatton's we have a few in at a shop I help out at are both Metropolitan Livery, looks like pre 33, although my knowledge on these is limited, as I am more familiar with steam.
-Metropolitan Bo-Bo electric 20 in Metropolitan livery

-Metropolitan Bo-Bo electric 9 "John Milton" in Metropolitan livery

What ever the situation is with 12, there are quite a few on their Facebook page who don't understand it either, although they say it will be done in another batch.... they didn't say when I asked will it be a commission? "Not at this time" which says to me there is still the possibility of it. I shall be doing some more asking a bit later.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

GWR_fan wrote:... I would stick a rake of teak Gresley coaches behind it, plus possibly some nationalisation teaks as well. Though not prototypical I feel it would give the right impression.
The Gresley non-gangwayed stock is as close as you can get from RTR, the external features of wooden coach built construction harking back to pre-group practise common to many companies that used 'varnished teak' stock, even though these are LNER built types.

There is actually one colour photo containing a clear image of about half a Metropolitan coach side in clean condition, dating just after the LPTB takeover. The differences from the Gresley stock is clear, the Metro used a scheme of a broad cream cartouche outlines as the lining below gutter and at waist level. Might sound a little odd but the appearance is most attractive; and unfortunately decidedly different from a GNR/LNER teak lining scheme.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I just received the first of two locomotives from the sale. Received today was Metropolitan #19. Definitely worth the wait, this is a superb model. I did not use the drop down NEM couplers supplied but went for a level Bachmann type. It was a little nerve wracking fitting the coupler given the added detail on the loco and not wishing to liberate any parts (especially the fragile cab steps). Soon the 1990's preserved version of #12 "Sarah Siddons" will arrive. It is a nice loco, however, I would never have purchased it at the full fat price.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

If you’re not fussy, these coaches are a cheap alternative. The suburban Gresleys were just far too expensive.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53375&p=656166#p656166

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Tony,
I just received a few as new GWR (pre-1908 livery) Graham Farish suburban coaches to go with my early livery "City of Truro" and was astonished how spirited the bidding was on those that Ray had listed on his eBay site. He had quite a few listings and I had actually given up any chance of getting any and by some twist of fate the enthusiastic demand must have died down and the second lot I had bid on was successful. There are always plenty of mainline cars but so few suburban models available.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

If you are buying any to keep unaltered, those are the ones. The livery is really attractive and, on mine at least, well applied. I did change the roof vents however and reduced the coupling distance.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Tony,
yes, the livery is very well applied.