colour of SR class L1 locos in 1958

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
rejrob

colour of SR class L1 locos in 1958

Postby rejrob » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi to all and firstly a very happy and healthy new year.Back when my hair was a trifle darker than now I purchased a triangle L1 31757 with,wait for it,Magnahesion and smoke ???? good eh It still works.having changed to Marits wheels all round.My kids still call it The Fasty. as it travels at a minimum 900 mph on minimum electric input Alas no more steel rail only modern Peco so no more mag.Within the last couple of days I purchased a further one at Rails with the intention of transforming it into a proper L1.Both examples are finished in Green but Rails also had an example in black.My layout is for the most part 1958 setting so can anyone tell me please whether the loco was black or green.I have seen pictures of the last D1 and E1 going for scrap, both black so might I have another little job to do on this one Any help greatly appreciated All the best Ron

RFS

Re: colour of SR class L1 locos in 1958

Postby RFS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm

At Nationalization in 1948 some/all of these locos were in malachite green, but as they were overhauled they were repainted in BR lined black. The last malachite loco was dealt with in 1953 according to "Maunsell Locomotives" by Brian Haresnape. They never carried the later BR green livery, so lined black is the correct livery for 1958.
Robert Smith

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:25 pm

Only 900mph? Whilst you were changing it to Markits wheels you could have changed the worm and gear. You can either buy a worm puller to get the old one off, or if you don't intend doing it very often but a spare motor without worm, (It'll be cheaper)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Thankyou both for your replies.Glad to see someone still listens to me (given up on the Guvnor???)Black it is going to be.The motor is in good nick but I've changed the brushes as a matter of course.I think I've added all the extras I need to, still deciding on whether to fit the cab end of the boiler with gauges as the motor protrudes into the cab so its pretty tight.Will ponder??When you think its all over I get a small package from north of the border with etched smokebox plates for 31177 and 31253 which I mentioned many moons ago.THankyou Jim gratefully received only the locos to get,The wife WILL be pleased.All the best to everyone Ron

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi all,Well the L1 is travelling round well but slower than 900mph,considerably???? Having got the 2 late smokebox plates aBR Bachmann C class 31227,is now 31253 at 73C September will see a further H class on the layout 31177 which just happens to be the one being produced but etched numbers being added.I,ve still got a pulled apart L1 to reassemble and might use the advice and get another worm and centre gear,I assume markets might have them i don't know.All for now All the best Ron

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”