Uncoupling Hornby wagons

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
JohnDisdle

Re: Uncoupling Hornby wagons

Post by JohnDisdle »

Hi Dad 1.

Would you please give me the details of your magic uncoupling wand. I have experimented with various magnets on poles. Uncoupling some can be a bit fiddly, as the magnet doesn`t seem to lift both hooks at once.
I use either plastic or card as a spacer on the magnet, otherwise you can lift the wagon off the track.

Your wand appears to be very quick at doing the job. Many thanks...
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Made from an old felt tip pen, SIM card packaging, a bit of right angled sprue and some filler. Just push the wagons together to unlock the couplings and slide this underneath.
Uncoupler.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

Thanks GeraldH.

I have made one of those, but find it too easy to de-rail the wagon. So I would prefer the magnetic way.
sparkhill

Post by sparkhill »

The way I see it in real life wagons were uncoupled by hand so I see nothing wrong with the lifter on a stick method, I also use the wire in a tube method for changing points which is pretty close to being realistic, at least it was in the steam era, we all know that the railways used to be very labour intensive so why not join in.
Regards
Nobby
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

JohnDisdle wrote:I have made one of those, but find it too easy to de-rail the wagon. So I would prefer the magnetic way.
I use both! The Brian Kirby method for fixed location uncoupling, and the paddle for everywhere else that wagons need uncoupling. All are fitted with Bachmann's miniature tension locks, restriction to one maker's coupler design is required for reliability. (Carriages have Kadees.)

The 'secret' with the paddle in my opinion is that it should be really light. I make mine from 4 inch length s of sprue with a small rightangle turn at what will be the bottom. The underside has a railhead width groove cut in it so it locates on the rail, and a fine slit cut in to take a piece of cemented on 20 thou plasticard at just over 90 degrees to the shaft.

Slip the paddle under the coupler hooks and locate the groove on the rail. It then naturally tilts back hinging on the rail and lifting the coupler hooks, and stays put when the loco pulls the uncoupled set of wagons away.
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

I use wooden coffee stirrers. And nothing else. :D
Back on the track !
Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Montfort wrote:I use wooden coffee stirrers. And nothing else. :D
To uncouple coffee? :lol:

Actually is a very good idea. I like the simple ideas. They are less likely to go wrong.
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Mountain wrote:To uncouple coffee?
Only for hot chocolate ! :lol:
Back on the track !
Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Montfort wrote:
Mountain wrote:To uncouple coffee?
Only for hot chocolate ! :lol:
COCO
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Montfort. You know Cocoa is a drink and C0-C0 is a diesel wheel arrangement so I put COCO meaning both the drink and the train wheel arrangement?
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

After Coco, it`s bedtime….

I can`t seem to use the uncoupling spade! There is either always something in the way, or I can`t see what i`m doing.

So for me, the magnet on a stick will have to do. It is a bit fiddly at times, as the magnet does not seem to lift both hooks at the same time, which seems unreasonable.

Where did my post go??