Tomix Track System

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
kebang

Tomix Track System

Post by kebang »

I'm considering incorporating a short 009 rail system serving a harbour (00 track will be the mainline). To achieve what I want really tight rad curves are needed, which Tomix have (4 inch rad!) . Has anybody got any experience of this system, is it code 80, 55, or something else?
Mike Parkes

Re: Tomix Track System

Post by Mike Parkes »

Code 80 - beware of the points, I purchased a 3 way to use on a layout otherwise using Kato. One of two motors built in it keeps on failing to work (have taken it apart numerous times and cannot fathom why as tested it works okay); annoyingly it a major lift of track to release it which means the whole layout is now in store whilst I debate its future (actually hoping Kato come up with a 3 way, or alternatively to lift the lot and use Peco).
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks Mike, very useful info!
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

The Kato Compact Unitrack range also has very tight curves.
Regards
Rob
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

If the 009 is working rather than a diorama you need to be careful as locos and stock may have difficulty getting round ultra sharp curves and even if each item runs round the curve okay there may be issues with them when coupled together.
kebang

Post by kebang »

I've ordered 180 degrees of Tomix tight curved track, together with some straights to experiment on.

Ordered from Japan on ebay so I will be waiting at least 3 weeks. The price was right, so if locos & short wheelbase rolling stock are defeated I will buy some curves that are around 9inch rad.

To get the right track lengths have you experimented with cutting the straights and then rejoining them with standard 'N' fishplates?
railsquid

Post by railsquid »

FWIW some N scale units on 103mm Tomix curves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq4UHsXDrs8

It's surprising what will go round them, including various Bo-Bo units. No idea how that scales to OO9 though,
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks railsquid, that video is very reassuring. My 4 wheeled locos will be using the Kato 103-11 chassis which I think will have no problem. the rolling stock is planned to be 2 x 10cm long coaches. each with 2 peco bogies. As Mike says the couplings may object!
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

If the train simply goes round a circle (or oval) etc and never shunts / reverses you could try a short length of chain as a coupling if the need arises.
kebang

Post by kebang »

Its an end to end Mike, heres what the plan looks like...
105x120 tomix fishquay.png
105x120 tomix fishquay.png (41.41 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
The red line the Tomix track.
kebang

Post by kebang »

The Tomix track is yet to arrive, but today I received a dozen pieces of Kato track (from Hattons -much quicker delivery than ebay).
How do people fix the track to the baseboard? My small plywood board is stored on its end. The peco oo/ho track is pinned but I would also like to keep the Kato fixed to the board. I would also like, if possible, to be able to reuse the track at a later date!
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

If you look at the underside of a piece of Kato track you'll see there are some holes moulded into the plastic, but they don't go all the way through. What I do is use a pin vice with a 1mm drill bit to drill up through the hole to the top.
Then I place the track on the board and use a 0.7mm drill bit to drill down through the hole and into the baseboard. Then push a track pin down through the hole to hold the track. A nail punch helps to push it all the way in but I don't use a hammer. The track pins I have are 0.8mm thick, which is why I use a 0.7mm drill.
If I need to remove a pin I use the tip end of a pair of xuron track cutters to lever the pin out.
Regards
Rob
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks Ironduke, I know what to do now!