Accurascale to announce UK OO loco at Warley

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigmet

Accurascale to announce UK OO loco at Warley

Post by Bigmet »

Another manufacturer increasing their presence in OO RTR. Anyone going to the Warley (NEC) show, that's where the 'reveal' will occur.

(On a side note, the 'manufacturer' landscape is changing rapidly, and not just in OO. It's no longer Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby dominating the market. Time to revise the product section of this site?)
mahoganydog

Re: Accurascale to announce UK OO loco at Warley

Post by mahoganydog »

Six couple industrial steam loco would be nice or something pre group with an open cab especially if it has outside frames......GWR Buffalo perhaps?
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

They have released a teaser on Facebook, don't thing anyone will be able to make anything of this though.

https://www.facebook.com/AccurascaleUK/ ... EaygV-jY4w

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Wow...just wow.

What grade of idiot goes and makes a Deltic when THERE IS ONE ALREADY ON THE MARKET??????????
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
luckymucklebackit

Don't understand it myself, the Bachman Loco is a lovely model, this will need to be something unbelievable to better it, yet the frothers on RMweb are already coughing up their cash for examples.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Don't understand it myself, the Bachman Loco is a lovely model, this will need to be something unbelievable to better it, yet the frothers on RMweb are already coughing up their cash for examples.

Jim
I am tempted but I already have a Bachmann with double mega bass sound (which is away at the moment having the Biffo files upgraded) and the prototype Deltic I bought in here last week../...do I really need another Deltic?

I think some Modellers’ have more versions than there were in service :lol:
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I've read there's a lot of people who don't like the Bachmann Deltic, supposedly the nose is the wrong shape and incorrect tumblehome? (Don't ask me!) For the price been quoted for this new one I expect Bachmann will just not bother making any more. If the nose and bits are wrong then Bachmann should have corrected this issues years ago. It's not like its a new model or anything.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

If it looks like a Deltic, sounds like a Deltic and reminds me of a Deltic.......it’s fine.

Some people have just too much time and too powerful a magnifying glass :D
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

There is quite a lot to improve on to produce a 'better than Bachmann' Deltic. It isn't a bad model, and looks pretty convincing if your layout radii are large enough to allow the ride height of the body over the bogie tops to be made scale. But among other things the rake of the bonnet fronts isn't pronounced enough, (too near vertical) the front windscreens are well undersize, the lower body side panel detailing is painted on and other small detail is absent, the grilles on the transition between roof and body side are too solid, there's not enough contrast with the geninely solid metal of the mid section. So there's stuff for Accurascale to shoot for.

Internal stuff: using a tungsten alloy for the chassis casting should enable more space for the larger speakers that the outstanding vocal repertoire of this loco really demands. Helical gears (reversible drive line ) should be a technical advance over worm drive.
luckymucklebackit

In the 1960s, I had a Hornby Dublo Deltic, thought it was a great loco
In the 1980s, I had two Lima Deltics, I was quite happy with them
Now I have a Bachman Deltic and a Heljan DP2, amazing locomotives compared with the earlier models, I don't need that level of perfection that some seek, so sorry I will not be dipping into the bank balance for one.

Jim
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

In 7mm it makes a big difference, in 4mm mehhh :wink:
Best regards David

GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I do shake my head at the direction the hobby is heading (oblivion!!!!!). A manufacturer has the right to produce whatever product they see as financially sustainable, however, with Hornby facing a nasty "takeover" and asset stripping exercise, do we really need another duplicate product even if it is more accurately detailed.

For years we were happy with the Hornby-Dublo model, then the Lima then the Bachmann model and the Hornby upgrade and now a new all singing and dancing release. Will Bachmann shelve its tooling or perhaps drastically reduce the price of their Deltics to keep their share of the market? We had the class 66 from Hornby (ex-Lima?) followed by the Bachmann model and now the Hattons release. We had the old Hornby class 47, then the Lima, then the Bachmann and then the Heljan model. Apparently all were flawed so is it time for a new manufacturer to produce a new class 47?

Hattons saw the writing on the wall with the stillborn King class which had seen market saturation with the Lima and multiple Hornby releases. Not to be outdone we had duplicate class 71 releases almost simultaneously. The J94 and 14XX new releases were supposedly superior to what went before and yet seemingly failed in many respects. Even the established class 14XX manufacturer stuffed it up trying to reduce production costs to maximise profit. Why the duplicate production wasting resources and potentially more exciting releases?

We then have the other side of the coin with a manufacturer announcing years in advance of anticipated release that a particular locomotive is being planned (Bachmann 94XX). Years later with little to show as regards an imminent release date has this ploy dissuaded others from releasing the model? It has been around five years or so.

The other place has the "me too movement" jumping on the new release band wagon, with not just one purchase but multiple purchases. I am not a perfectionist but to me the Bachmann Deltic was good enough as in reality it is just a toy. Odd that the elephant in the room, track width, is rarely discussed when modellers seek perfection in their model. To their credit the new release is designed to accommodate EM and P4 devotees, but in reality these hobbyist represent a very small percentage of a very small market.

We are constantly spoiled for choice, so much so that the established dinosaur manufacturers like Hornby are oblivious to the destructive meteor earthbound to spoil their board room day. They blame all these new manufacturers for their problems unable to see that they themselves are responsible.

Are highly detailed new releases from dealer commissions or niche manufacturers the future or are we going to price ourselves out of the hobby, leaving but only the financially well off as future customers. The base level of the hobby to attract new members is the bottom end of the market. not the high end super detailed models that are becoming the norm. It would be fine if they were new classes of locomotives, however, revisiting previous productions like class 25 reruns may satisfy those able to afford them, but for many of us what was previously released was and is good enough.

I know that my spending days are coming to an end, not for financial reasons, but boredom due the continuous new releases being announced. The market is saturated and yet manufacturers are making new announcements of planned releases, mostly of previously released items. The current sale of the century sale cannot even tempt me to press the buy now button. I have five locomotives in my shopping cart and yet do not have the enthusiasm to complete the sale. I believe that I am suffering new release "shell shock" syndrome. I am now questioning myself, do I really need this or do I just want it???????

I refuse to pay more than GBP100.00 for a new model, so in reality basically nothing new these days is within my upper buying limit, whether a small 0-4-0 shunting locomotive or a high end steam or diesel release. Am I missing out, well, actually no as in reality nothing newly released actually appeals to me. If something in the future is resold as pre-owned then I may be tempted if the price is right but with a new locomotive now in the GBP150.00 - 200.00 price range, there is a limit to which other than the obsessed will be enticed. My most expensive purchase to date was a recent purchase of a mint/as new Bachmann 30XX in GWR green. It was less than my self imposed upper price limit and less expensive than when released some years ago. I ignored it when first released as I considered the original retail price extravagant.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Have to agree.

I think the “nail on the head” was the point you raised with track anomaly/width in that some will point out almost invisible discrepancies in body shape and then quite happily use track which is 7” scale too narrow......not a peep.
Best regards David

martin_l_jones

Post by martin_l_jones »

I notice that Revolution are manufacturing a range of JNAs, the cheapest at £37.00. A very similar product by Dapol IOA Wagon is £22.50. And then Kernow have the rights to a Limited Edition variant at £49.99. Not only am I staggard at the price I cant believe the justification of a £13.00 price hike for a Limited Edition that will be produced at the same time.
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

GWR_fan wrote:We had the old Hornby class 47, then the Lima, then the Bachmann and then the Heljan model. Apparently all were flawed so is it time for a new manufacturer to produce a new class 47?
Hornby - ride height too high and nasty raised lines down the body size for easy application of two tone green
Lima - too narrow (something I found out trying an etched detail kit out on one and the roof pieces were too wide)
Bachmann - evolved from their 57; think the issue is something relatively minor like the wrong fuel gauge on a tank and too many rivets around the cab windows.
Heljan - too wide (albeit not as much as some people made out who had become accustomed to the Lima one). IME the overwide width is partly, but not wholly, down to the body shell being pushed out by mould ridges on the cast chassis block and having rubbed them down I found the body took a bit of a 58 shape as the cab inserts were too wide and needed narrowing.
Vi Trains (you did not mention) - not sure what the issue was this one other than people did not like the amount of detail parts which had to be added.

Have to agree the 14xx and J94 are a bit of a disaster largely due to the DJM weird geared chassis and ridiculous extent of noise generated.