New layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
triuph1050

Re: New layout

Post by triuph1050 »

Montfort wrote:OK. Thanks. Several photos disappeared on page one. What happened ?
Yes was trying to make room on the photo sharing site and forgot that results in blank pages. Sorry
Peter
Last edited by triuph1050 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triuph1050

Post by triuph1050 »

Chops wrote:Agree with MG, I'd never thought of it. Marvelous modern era workings. The motive power is nothing I've ever seen.

If I dare say, would love to see some video of that most interesting goods train banging through the cross over.
So this is why I'm so slow at getting the job done, to busy playing trains :)
Some short videos taken on the smart phone (playing havoc with the auto focus) :)
https://youtu.be/nzesMIaJ5xM
https://youtu.be/1cqTH1tGzIg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Has an interesting use of space. I rather like the idea as the way the buildings are tends to hide the oval look to it. Very well thought out.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Great videos! I am frequently annoyed that my video camera takes such rotten images by comparison- grainy, blurry.
Nessie rocks!
HarryR

Post by HarryR »

triuph1050 wrote:
Chops wrote:Agree with MG, I'd never thought of it. Marvelous modern era workings. The motive power is nothing I've ever seen.

If I dare say, would love to see some video of that most interesting goods train banging through the cross over.
So this is why I'm so slow at getting the job done, to busy playing trains :)
Some short videos taken on the smart phone (playing havoc with the auto focus) :)
https://youtu.be/nzesMIaJ5xM
https://youtu.be/1cqTH1tGzIg
I dont why I haven't picked on your layout before, but I've Bookmarked it now.

Its a contentious opinion, but personally I find 'small' layouts more inspiring than large loft type ones (thats not to say I dont admire the various skills needed to create them), probably because its easier to imagine myself attempting such a project. So I'll be following with interest & hope it all goes well. :)
Chops

Post by Chops »

I do agree with the above. I built a rather large, 12 x 24' dog bone some years ago. A rather ambitious assault, it became quite problematic with issues like sagging baseboards, or a crotchety turnout difficult to reach, and so on. For my ability, less is more, although I would hasten my congratulations to those who have the skill to manage a large array.
Nessie rocks!
triuph1050

Post by triuph1050 »

Well that was fun, a few hours spent sorting the bases of the sheds and also another 'Wills' kit I built, fits well alongside the 'Peco' shed and very pleased to say locos run along those filled in tracks with no problems. Now I have a question, what colour base should I use on the main areas before I start with grasses etc
Image20181119_114426_HDR by peter, on Flickr
Image20181118_125721_HDR by peter, on Flickr
Image20181118_125827_HDR by peter, on Flickr
Last edited by triuph1050 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Nice tidy layout, good use of space.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Nice tidy layout, good use of space.

Jim
Totally agree with Jim. This is really flowing very well.
brammie

Post by brammie »

triuph1050 wrote: "Well that was fun, a few hours spent sorting the bases of the sheds and also another 'Wills' kit I built, fits well alongside the 'Peco' shed and very pleased to say locos run along those filled in tracks with no problems. Now I have a question, what colour base should I use on the main areas before I start with grasses etc"

If it is of any help, when I laid my "deck" on "Clackwick" in 2005, the base colours I used (having first sealed the Contiboard) were acrylic in Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Moss Green and Paynes Grey - dependent on the intended final colour and depth of the scatter. It seems to have worked, and is holding together well thirteen years later. Good luck to you, whatever you elect to do.
triuph1050

Post by triuph1050 »

Thanks brammie
Peter
Chops

Post by Chops »

Following, and enjoying, with great interest.
Nessie rocks!
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

I'm following and enjoying with a great interest this thread. May I ask you two questions ?
1) What are the dimensions of your layout ?
2) How did you build the baseboard ?
Thanks
Back on the track !
Chris
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Just a thought (although may not apply to your situation at all) , I notice you have the board joints well covered with points, if your going to permanently set the track down with ballast etc and you may wish to move the layout in the future (and keep it) it might be a good idea to jiggle the points so they do not lay over the baseboard joints, just a matter of cutting through straight/plain rail sections to separate the boards.

Just brought this up as I have recently, well the past week actually decided to go from 7mm back to 4mm for reasons I won’t bore you with, and upon designingnjust a simple 8x4 layout roundy roundy in 4mm I found that I would need the board in three sections to enable moving.

I used Anyrail planning software and spent most likely 48 hrs in total this last week getting a plan based on a modified Peco “Bredon” using at first Peco Setrack (which I soon abandoned due to my own realising I cannot do the detailing any more) and plumped for TRIX-C track which is ready ballasted, but it took hours to get a plan which avoided board joints, and even then I am having the boards made in three custom sizes to help manageable movement when the time comes.

Sorry, rambling on here......but isn’t it nice to suddenly “get back into it” rather than spen years on a grand plan which in your heart of hearts you realise will never happen! :o

Enjoy your trains....
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
triuph1050

Post by triuph1050 »

Size of layout is 7x4, the base I had made for me, two board's bolt together one 4x4 the other 3x4, made of soft wood frame 6 screw on legs 7mm ply board all covered in cork. Not concerned about points over joints as I have nowhere else were I could have a layout. Was hoping to have it in what is now the spare bedroom and could have stretched it to 8x4 but just as well I'm relegated to the "man" shed as with heavy locos with sound SWMBO would have something to say, instead I'm free to work and play for as long as I want. Problem at the moment is it's freezing, so I'm putting my locos away and bringing them in at night
Image20181122_174200_HDR by peter, on Flickr