I've had an idea...

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
dan8400

I've had an idea...

Post by dan8400 »

Hi everyone,

On the odd occasion I have a problem when running my layout (using NCE Powecab) I sometimes struggle to 'emergency stop' things if there is a problem. There is an emergency stop button but it only stops the loco you are running. I did read that three taps stops everything, but mine doesn't. Also I have a cab 06 which doesn't have a Stop button.

Then I thought about having friends over or running the layout with my children. Everyone needs to know how to stop everything in a hurry.

So I came up with this....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2768046989

I will wire this from the back of the powecab before it reaches the bus wires. This way everything stops dead.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Dan
Alex3410

Re: I've had an idea...

Post by Alex3410 »

It will be interesting to see how you get on, i had a similar thought for my layout in the loft - my controller does stop everything but if your on the other side of the loft it can take a few moments to get to the controller :lol:

So my idea was one of these at each end of the layout - have not got past the idea stage however :lol:
heda

Post by heda »

How about something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Light-La ... rk:27:pf:0

Keep the remote with you so you can switch the power off wherever you are. Best to check with the experts on the electronics forum first though, re power rating, also someone might come up with something better.

Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Free_at_last

Post by Free_at_last »

You could try mounting a ceiling 'pull switch' at one end of the layout with the cord running to the other end, along the lines of a communication cord.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

i wonder if you can connect is up to an Amazon Alexa, set it up to stop everything if it detects you swearing at your layout :lol:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Spoken like a true techie, there's no problem too trivial to be fixed by £100+ of electronics and a few thousand lines of code :)
But if you could link it in to give a "stop all" voice command without powering down, there might be an application for the gear.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bufferstop wrote:Spoken like a true techie, there's no problem too trivial to be fixed by £100+ of electronics and a few thousand lines of code :).
I think the technical term your looking for is... OVERKILL. :lol:
I don't see why a switch wouldn't work. UP=ON, DOWN=OFF. Insert the switch in the power line from controller to track.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Actually anything that stops the trains by sending commands isn't going to help when you get a runaway. As far as I can make out they happen when the decoder erroneously decides it's running on DC and passes the full rail voltage, rectified, straight to the motor. Only killing the power to the track will stop that one, so perhaps the big red "Panic Button" is whats needed.
I once had a keyboard with a blank key cap in one corner, which had a switch shaft but no switch behind it. One day one of my colleagues, snook in whilst I was away from my desk and replaced the blank cap with a red one marked "Panic". Never did find where he got it from.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

alex3410 wrote:i wonder if you can connect is up to an Amazon Alexa, set it up to stop everything if it detects you swearing at your layout :lol:
I'd never get anything done!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Now there is a thought! Will we see an Alexa connected up to a fully automated DCC system in the future - "Alexa, move D5307 and train from platform 1 to the main line" :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

While looking on the sales I’ve noticed they are doing smart plugs alongside Alexa devices, it got me thinking about this thread & in theory the smart plug with an Alexa should achive voice on/off

Talking to a friend who uses it they say it can be a little slow so thought the emergency stop button would probably be faster option :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

dan8400 wrote:...NCE Powercab I sometimes struggle to 'emergency stop' things if there is a problem. There is an emergency stop button but it only stops the loco you are running. I did read that three taps stops everything, but mine doesn't. Also I have a cab 06 which doesn't have a Stop button.
The sheer convenience of having the 'all-stop' facility on the control handset(s) suggests that you might look into getting your powercab upgraded if that will provide it, or go for a different system with this facility on every handset.

The 'soft stop' this provides, with low current track power still available to alter settings on any loco, is a major convenience on those rare occasions when it is required. Probably one of those facilities that once you have had it you wouldn't be without.

There's a neat effect from it too, without any layout automation. Set the system 'all stop' deliberately, and one button push on the handset will 'start' all the train movement simultaneously. If the trains are all positioned appropriately around the layout and have quite large values in CV3, they all start away together, smoothly building up to speed. That usually impresses anyone who hasn't seen a model railway since they were in short trousers.