Looking for Help / Ideas Please

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
BlueDay

Re: Looking for Help / Ideas Please

Post by BlueDay »

Hope you’re well Chris.

Yeh happy to duck under. I’ve got quite a bit of the plan up and running as a test - not fixed anything down yet just testing. I’m just trying to do the best with what space I have.

Post by 45655 »

Given the space, I'd try to go with flexitrack and transitioned curves. It will look so much better, trust me.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Personally I would second that most strongly, but with the recognition that this requires the 'leap' away from set track. In the space available using a flexitrack system is an easy fit, but it hangs on the layout builder's willingness to leave set track behind.
Chops

Post by Chops »

From long experience, duck unders are optimistic. They are great for removing skin from one's back, as well as the occasional crack on the old skull. If not too much trouble, it might be suggested to make it a lift gate, using rerailers affixed to both sides to account for the tiny differences in gauge and height that will be incurred by humidity and drying environmental factors. Looks to be a fabulous plan, otherwise.

If at all possible, turnouts would be well advised to be at least a solid nine inches away from the lift gate edges. This permits time for any induced wobble to settle down before picking a point (and subsequently derailing). We are somewhat plagued by humidity issues and lack of foresight in the one lift up on the Club layout, here in El Paso, and the duck under is a severe impediment for the senior members, of whose ranks I am steadily advancing towards.
Nessie rocks!
BlueDay

Post by BlueDay »

Thanks guys.

Still playing around with ideas. Got a ‘set’ idea down now but I keep changing little things here and there (no bad thing).

Regarding flexi track, it’s defo gonna be necessary. Due to the complexities of the space available.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If your layout plan needs flexitrack, then my suggestion would be to go solely flexitrack. You get a far better range of better points, and - you don't read this very often - not only is it better, but also if bought cannily usually works out cheaper for any layout taking up more space than 8' x 4'. Your loft layout plan far exceeds this size.

The key to this economy is buying the plain track in 25 yard box packs at a discount price by shopping around for the keenest deal.
BlueDay

Post by BlueDay »

Bigmet wrote:If your layout plan needs flexitrack, then my suggestion would be to go solely flexitrack. You get a far better range of better points, and - you don't read this very often - not only is it better, but also if bought cannily usually works out cheaper for any layout taking up more space than 8' x 4'. Your loft layout plan far exceeds this size.

The key to this economy is buying the plain track in 25 yard box packs at a discount price by shopping around for the keenest deal.
Already have most of the track