Lumsdonia Website and YouTube Updates

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Flashbang

Re: Lumsdonia Website Updates

Post by Flashbang »

How about you stop using my words taken directly from my web site. Especially the conditions of use wording.
At best it shows a lack of forethought, at worse its Plagiarism!
See.... link to item post #67.

My site had been live since around 2004/5. But I don't open forum topics on at least three forums to boast how good it is! Why do you?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Flashbang, answered in the other forum
Flashbang wrote:My site had been live since around 2004/5. But I don't open forum topics on at least three forums to boast how good it is! Why do you?
Its called advertising promotion! :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Prompted by a discussion with exhibitors at a recent Model railway exhibition I went to, a couple of guides on electronics that are useful for controlling power sprang to mind.
Now added to the growing list

Regulator
Dimming

And with a new front end, as the list is getting long!

Guides

Please let me know if there are any bugs or if you have any comments about the content, cheers
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I have had this idea for years, but could never find any old hangers! (I am sure there is a stack of them in the house somewhere, but she's hiding them!)
So seeing some modern equivalents for £1.99, I have finally applied the idea to my layout.
This means the idea is proven and I have pictures!

So now a How To on my site!
That means no vacuuming and feather dusting for me!
Attachments
Dust cover Long.jpg
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I am branching out (pun intended :roll: ) into video versions of my webpage "How to's" :wink:
With a new found confidence in the output of my new super camera and some tripod/clamp/bencharmyajigs, I have documented one of my more graphical methods of tips - How To make removable loads (semi-auto). It has taken a lot of editing. I doubt I am up there on Luke Towens level, but its a vast improvement on my earlier vids and hopefully more of a useful tutorial rather than my previous, 'look what I did' type.

It's a learning curve!

Please, please, give me any feedback, I cant improve rubbish, if I don't know it is! :oops:

P.S. If the music 'dose your'e nut in!' (as some biased peeps have mention) please let me know!

How To make a removable Mineral Wagon Load
TimberSurf

Re: Lumsdonia Website and YouTube Updates

Post by TimberSurf »

Well I have had a second comment about the music "being turned off", so now it gets worse, cus I have composed a second song, that will get used in the next video. Trust me, if you disliked the first, you will hate this one :lol:
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

Very nice piece on loads for mineral and PO wagons. Styrafoam clearly keeps wagon weight down. Do you have a settled view on ideal weights for 9 foot / ten foot mineral & PO wagons for best operation? I convert all to Kadee couplers but have not settled on ideal weight to prevent derailing when shunting in reverse. BTW - excellent website -- consult it often.

George
North Carolina
End2end

Post by End2end »

Easy to follow video. :mrgreen:
Perhaps a little more emphasis on the drying times.
I moved mine too early and the now coloured water / pva mix came spilling out all over the sides of the wagon. :roll:

Could you possibly add a link to the weights in the comments below the video for viewers?
The music was quite loud but I had to have it low anyway as Mrs End2end was watching the lie box next to me.
It would have been worse if you were talking over the music as we would have had to listen to the voiceover so turning the music down or off is no problem. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

George - The jury is still out on weights! I am going to work to the NMRA principles initially (See tip 603), until I get a layout large enough to do my own testing!
E2E - I don't do anything half hearted, I bought 12KG to get the overall cost down and links to suppliers can sometimes not last but just for you here is one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100PCS-60g-A ... SwCnVbrsqm

I will watch the sound level in the future
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I have had styrofoam on my mind for quite a few years after seeing it is the "Go to" material the Americans use. Although the intent is to use it extensively on my layout, it has been on a back burner until I start progressing the main build. With the commitment to make a diorama, that can be inserted into the final layout at a much later date, it seemed the ideal substrate and would be a good learning exercise for the future build. Getting hold of extruded polystyrene (XPS - styrofoam) is however problematical in the UK!
There are a few suppliers who sell modelling blocks, these are incredibly expensive due to exclusivity and carriage costs, for very little volume!
The alternative is to buy in bulk from an insulation supplier, of which there are few that stock it and none are nearby to enable pickup, they also have a minimum, which usually equates to a 4x8 sheet or more!
So I bit the bullet and bought 4 sheets of 4x2. This lead to me buying and making the Tools required to cut, form and shape it {and make a guide page on my website}.
It has also lead to a Video of some of them in action, including a cross cut saw that I believe may even be a completely original {I have certainly not found anything similar in my research}

Neatly cut parts glued together to form a lightweight, strong base.
Windmill base stage 1s.jpg
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

TimberSurf wrote:I have had styrofoam on my mind for quite a few years after seeing it is the "Go to" material the Americans use. Although the intent is to use it extensively on my layout, it has been on a back burner until I start progressing the main build. With the commitment to make a diorama, that can be inserted into the final layout at a much later date, it seemed the ideal substrate and would be a good learning exercise for the future build. Getting hold of extruded polystyrene (XPS - styrofoam) is however problematical in the UK!
There are a few suppliers who sell modelling blocks, these are incredibly expensive due to exclusivity and carriage costs, for very little volume!
The alternative is to buy in bulk from an insulation supplier, of which there are few that stock it and none are nearby to enable pickup, they also have a minimum, which usually equates to a 4x8 sheet or more!
So I bit the bullet and bought 4 sheets of 4x2. This lead to me buying and making the Tools required to cut, form and shape it {and make a guide page on my website}.
It has also lead to a Video of some of them in action, including a cross cut saw that I believe may even be a completely original {I have certainly not found anything similar in my research}

Neatly cut parts glued together to form a lightweight, strong base.

Windmill base stage 1s.jpg

Now this I like!! Great ingenuity
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

TimberSurf wrote:I have had this idea for years, but could never find any old hangers! (I am sure there is a stack of them in the house somewhere, but she's hiding them!)
So seeing some modern equivalents for £1.99, I have finally applied the idea to my layout.
This means the idea is proven and I have pictures!

So now a How To on my site!
That means no vacuuming and feather dusting for me!
Great idea. My layout attracts dust like a magnet. It doesn't help that I have a foam backed carpet under it, where the foam has degraded and turned to dust!
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Gerald
Rip the underlay up and chop it up in a coffee grinder for flock!

It's on the soon to be published video tutorial list! Watch this space!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Added 20+ more link addresses at the weekend and a couple of new tips
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Catch up! I have been a slouch and forgot to keep up the updates on this page!

New Guide on static grass applicator added Static Grass Applicators Guide

New Gallery added to cover this year and the Three bridge Valley module. 2019 Gallery

Past queries on here and recent enquiries on facebook have prompted me to write an essay on layout construction, I will add piccies later, but for now Layout Construction Guide