Why Not Plan A Fun 0-16.5 Budget Layout?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
TimberSurf

Re: Why Not Plan A Fun 0-16.5 Budget Layout?

Post by TimberSurf »

From £8.50, http://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=train%20set, bashable bits source that is mail order!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

TimberSurf wrote:From £8.50, http://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=train%20set, bashable bits source that is mail order!

One of those reminds me of my second-smallest railway build.
A "doll's house toy train set", glued to the edge of a display turntable with a snowy mountain built up around it.
House and trees were cake-decorating items.
minitran.jpg
A quick-and-dirty build that worked very well.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
b308

Post by b308 »

Mountain this is my reply to your post concerning RTR O scale NG...

It was discussed recently on NGRM where many of the members are O scale NG modellers wishing for the same as you, that someone does British O-16.5 RTR, in particular, locos...

Peco were mentioned but whilst you may persuade them to do rolling stock (as they do in OO9) they won't do locos. It's their declared intention NOT to do locos which they leave to the Manufacturers who already make locos to do. They, rightly in my view, regard the manufacturer of locos as a whole different ballgame to rolling stock, the issues which can arise are far worse if there is a motor, gears and pickups involved...

So your choice would be one of the mainstream manufacturers, I doubt you'd get any of the Continental manufacturers involved after Marklin and Fleischmann have both tried and failed to make it work. I'd suggest your best bet would be Bachmann, although the British arm don't speak to the US arm at least the US arm do produce O scale NG...

Your next issue is the market, I believe that the membership of the 7mmNGA is quite a bit lower than the OO9 Society, and what makes matters worse for any manufacturer is that the modellers are split between 14mm and 16.5mm gauge unlike OO9 which is consistent on 9mm... It could be that if someone did an RTR loco in 16.5mm gauge it could give a boost to that gauge but who's going to take the risk?

So it's down to you, I'd suggest that if you really want to promote O-16.5 and in particular RTR then you need to get as many people members of the 7mmNGA as without a collective voice you'll get nowhere... The current surge in OO9 RTR has not just suddenly come because the manufacturers have spotted a gap in the market but because of constant lobbying from the OO9 Society over many decades and that they can see within that membership a suitable market, which so far, has confirmed their faith and investment...

Good Luck!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I am asking myself the question on a personal angle as if there were ready made models of UK outline prototypes in this scale and gauge (And my budget allowed),would I buy any? It is a very difficult question as I dont know.
I do know that there will be quite a few who may buy them as for some, the scale and gauge is attractive but the lack of RTR may mean they decide not to try. For me I doubt I'd buy as I'd need to totally repaint them to my style so that they would blend in, and they are likely to cost a small fortune in the first place (Which they would lose their value once repainted)...
One thing about 7mm narrow scale is what you quite rightly pointed out. Some modellers use 14mm gauge track (Which more represents a 2ft gauge prototype) and other modellers use 16.5mm track gauge (The same as 00 representing a 2'3" prototype). The majority including myself use 16.5 through convenience just like in 009, 9mm (Same as N gauge) gauge width is used.
I guess in 7mm narrow gauge modellers have more choices to make then in 009. One example is coupling choice. In 009 and H0e, the coupling used on RTR models is more or less universally accepted. In 0-16.5, while some use kadees, others use tension lock, some use Peco simplex types and still others like me adopt different couplings again (Mine being home made). A few finescale modellers even use scale chopper style couplings, but at around £8 or £9 each (If my eyes didnt deceive me), not many of us are tempted!
For me the uniqueness of each persons individual railway and the choices they've made as acting as "Managing director" of their companies, gives this scale and gauge a charm which would be somewhat lost if many ready to run models were available.

To answer your other question. I have been very tempted to join the 7mm narrow gauge society for a while now but my tight budget has not quite stretched that far. In the past when I had the funds for kits (Many of which I've still not made yet!) I would have done so except that at the time there was a lot going on regarding nearly moving house several times so I delayed joining back then.
b308

Post by b308 »

I'm not sure about the 7mm Association but with the OO9 Society I easily recoup my annual membership fees with discounts when buying stuff from them, and that's before the advantage of being put in contact with similar modellers in my local area is taken into account who I wouldn't know about without my membership. I am not a "club" person, I've tried to join local model railway clubs but never found it works well, however a society like the OO9 (and 7mmNGA - I was a member many years ago!) are a very different kettle of fish. I'd suggest you try it for a year, after all it's cheap enough. and see how you go... Try not to pre-judge whether it's worth it before trying it, you never know...

The coupling thing is a two edged sword, I prefer having one type of coupling as it allows interchange of stock between layouts... Though there are one or two who persist with the N gauge coupler!

As for uniqueness, that isn't limited to 7mmNG, you know, 4mmNG is just the same! ;)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I think I will join them one of these days! Just been delaying the last couple of years as my modelling budget is like the Tal-Y-Llyn was in the days before preservation, except (Unlike the Tal-Y-Llyn in those days) I'm fortunate to have a decently stocked up parts box. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
b308

Post by b308 »

Good Luck! They have a couple of shows at Burton on Trent each year, including the AGM if you can get there. Their Sales Stand can sometimes be found at some of the NG shows, NG North in Leeds has it this year as well as the OO9 Society's AGM in Eastleigh...
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Thanks Dave. :)

You could make a little narrow gauge layout. Something small and fun. It will also be an excuse to use up those accumulated bits and pieces from ones parts box and track offcuts etc. The scrappier 00 gauge items being used for their new use! It shouldn't cost a lot unless you want it to.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Just to recap, 0-16.5 needn't be that difficult. These waggons were made from using old Triang cast metal chassis and buying a fine mesh sheet. With a little cutting and bending these were made.... (The bodies are held onto the chassis with wire).
It goes to show that one doesn't have to have any special skills to get results. They were made to represent fertiliser waggons which were tipped by a hydraulic ramp type device mounted under the track, which meant the prototype waggons didn't have opening doors etc.
Attachments
IMG_20180830_102942.jpg