Returning to the hobby and looking for suggestions.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Itsonlyme

Returning to the hobby and looking for suggestions.

Post by Itsonlyme »

I've just been out and got my hands on an orient express set, having just moved I have a garage and finally the room to build a layout.

Not really sure what to build in the garage (and I've been looking over the Internet for ideas really). I'm probably looking at an 8×6 board which I will convert into dcc.

I have been pondering the idea of an L shape continuous loop (using tunnels to disguise its only a single loop coming back on itself). So a 12x2 and an 8x2 extending on each end to allow it to loop back itself.

If anyone has any suggestions, they woukd be greatly appreciated.
Mountain

Re: Returning to the hobby and looking for suggestions.

Post by Mountain »

You could build a shelf type of layout to go all the way round the walls of the garage.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Agree with Mountain on that configuration, couple of things to check before proceeding is make sure the garage is wind and watertight, is it going to be shared with a car? If so think about the consequences of introducing a hot wet car into a garage where a layout is set up and if the weather will get in while the doors are open when the car is being driven in and out. Or better still ban the car from the garage :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Non-driver no danger of that, I'm going to have to cover it up when not in use (unless anyone has some suggestions on an indoor layout I can put down when not in use).

I was certainly debating a shelve type thing as I have to store the lawnmower in with it. I haven't had a proper layout in years.

*Edited due to corrective text on phone*
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi welcome to the forum. Can I make some comments about garages in their natural state, concrete floors and bare brick walls are huge sources of dust which is deadly to model trains. If the garage is beneath part of the house it will have a fire retardant ceiling. If it's more than ten to twenty years old it's likely to be asbestos cement sheet. It's safe until disturbed. If it is asbestos get a qualified remover to strip it out. It's not a big job and when it's done they'll have vacuumed it out thoroughly for you. Then think about having the walls and ceiling plastered and the floor sealed. It will be a more pleasant place to persue your hobby.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Well it's an old metal one and we are renting, so I'm obviously open to suggestions on what would be the best thing to do. It's got the space for a nice shelve layout (even if it doubled back on itself).

Other than I have a fair large house so I could have one that I take apart when not in use and just have it up in the bedroom.

The garage seems fairy dry tbh. I could even do just a 10/11x4 and have covered in the garage when not in use.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Is this basically a big nissen hut? It won't be a pleasant place in winter.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Very true, I might be better off with something indoor, we have a play room downstairs and a large bedroom I could probably do a 10x2 using a helix on either end to make them continus round (I've seen these for sale on ebay).

How viable do you think that would be? I could do it wider but the 7 year old would whinge I'm stealing her play room.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Itsonlyme wrote:Very true, I might be better off with something indoor,...

How viable do you think that would be? I could do it wider but the 7 year old would whinge I'm stealing her play room.
This would look like a case for a round-the-room shelf layout, with a removable or flap section to bridge the door.
(which for safety reasons might need to be made to open out, or be replaced by a sliding door.)

With shelves above and shelves or cupboards below the layout level, you could easily be *increasing* the the room's storage space.
I built one layout using children's bedroom furniture as the entire sub-structure. Very neat and tidy. A double track only takes 4-5" running (protected) at the back of a desk, for one variant example.

By picking the Orient Express I take it that the bigger faster passenger trains are your primary interest?
They do eat up space compared to branch-line type arrangements.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Well I can do a 10x4 in the bedroom (as we have a massive bedroom. We are going to look at what space we have. I do have a large bay window to also play with on both floors. I've been a little concerned with the little one coming in and waking us up playing with it (she's already nicked it a few times lol).

I'm certainly more into the larger passenger trains, but I do like having a few tankers. I'll certainly be getting a britannia class and 9f.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Itsonlyme wrote:Well I can do a 10x4 in the bedroom (as we have a massive bedroom. We are going to look at what space we have.
Getting the width over 4ft makes a heck of a difference, which is why a 9x5 (or wider) with the operating and access space on the *inside* makes for a much better layout. Far gentler curves become available.
Extending that idea returns us to the round-the room shelf layout.

One compromise is to have the main station permanently in place but have the broader end loops removable/foldable.
This saves space when the railway is not in use but avoids having to remove/replace all the stock for every session,
I'm certainly more into the larger passenger trains, but I do like having a few tankers. I'll certainly be getting a britannia class and 9f.
So a little dockside shunting layout wouldn't really server...
(but might your daughter have her own branch line?)

Chris.
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Having the broader ends removable would certainly be an option, I had wondered if having a shelve type layout that loops back itself would work.

We are going to have a look at the room options so she isn't too triggered about losing space. I may have to resort to something like an enlarged track mat.

Me step daughter will have something for sure, I literally had her upstairs for an hour doing station announcements the other day :D
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Itsonlyme wrote:I may have to resort to something like an enlarged track mat.
The Devil's Tablecloth!

Chris.
Hymirl

Post by Hymirl »

If you like express trains and big tankers have you considered n gauge? Half scale is quarter sized models and means your loops at the end need only half the size to return the train.
Some people find it twice as fiddly... and admittedly it is less child friendly.

Or if you made the return loops as (mostly) non-scenic removable sections that might work?
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Lol yeah I know Chris, I did however find something you posted that might work with a few tweaks, 10x4 should be doable in one of the rooms.
84flat_zpsh4ozvu8t.jpg
84flat_zpsh4ozvu8t.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
As for n gauge, yeah I have considered it, I do like my 00, it's what I use to do with my grandad.
Last edited by Itsonlyme on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.