Acton North - the rebuild

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
actonnorth

Acton North - the rebuild

Postby actonnorth » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:58 pm

As you may know, I previously had a OO layout called Acton North, a modern image ‘north London-ish’ layout.

I’ve had a house move, so, I had to sell most of my OO stuff as we moved to a townhouse, thus didn’t think there would be a loft space (we were told there wasn’t loft space).

Anyway, turns out we do have loft space, so, a build can re-start.

The issue I have in this case, space isn’t as plentiful as my previous loft, so, I’m dropping down to N. Whilst they do models of all the locos and rolling stock that I want for my layout, just not in the huge and easy to obtain quantities I was used to with OO.

The loft space has now been boarded, and is VERY well insulated (it was pretty damned hot during the heatwave) and has all the electrics and lighting ready to go.

So, what have I got planned?

Well, the space for boards is approx 550cm by 400cm around the edges (the measurements are in the loft so may have got that bit wrong, but I worked out a station platforms could hold about 12 coaches and a loco and still leave enough room for it not to be a tight squeeze).

So, the long end will House the station and town/city scene. The station will have 4 through platforms, 2 Bay platforms and an engine stabling line.

There will be an embankment scene at one end, with it also being a town scene around it.

The back ‘narrower’ end will House a countryside scene. It will then lead to 2 tunnels. One tunnel is the continuous loop, the other will lead to a helix (that you see in the ‘sticky out bit’).

The helix will lead to an upper section, above the tunnels and then also around the 4th side. This track eventually leads to an upper fiddle yard but will have a bit of countryside and a small station scene before entering said fiddle yard. The yard will be hidden behind the back scene.

Also on the 4th side, on the lower main loop, there will be a small TMD, only about 2-3 lines with a shed and fuelling point.

Overall it’s quite a simple design. My previous layout had sidings, goods yards, multiple line platforms, multiple line TMD and it was too much. This is pretty much a simple loop and the helix/upper section is purely to reach the fiddle yard so that items can be stored without having to have them in multiple boxes.

Stock would be the usual class 66/90/92/70/67/88 with intermodal/vga/hta/megabit etc. Passenger movements would be 221/390/350/charters/170 etc.

Track is aiming to be mostly peck concrete sleeper, with dappled catenaries and modern buildings.

The first stage is the baseboard build, but, given the nature of embankments/upper levels, I want to get a design finalised before they go in so that they are all ready for track from the outset.

Have a good day.

burnie

Re: Acton North - the rebuild

Postby burnie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Good luck with this, will follow with interest.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 pm

First 2 baseboards are finally in. They are in the top right of the image above. The 3rd board isn’t far off going in, which will complete the top boards in the image.

The other board after that will be coming down the right hand side, and after that the board for the helix.

It’s all finally starting to come together.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Read your thread on the previous version of Actonnorth so looks good. Will we see another modern glass fronted station build?

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:44 pm

I’m genuinely not sure on the station at this stage.

I don’t think I’m going to do the same format as Acton North pt 1 (station building over the platforms) but instead be a conventional one along side. As for scratch built, it’s something im going to have to look into, as with a smaller scale comes a more fiddly experience.

One thing going for me on the station front is Kato. While they are aimed at the Japanese railway modeller, they do have some more modern station stuff so will look into that too.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:37 pm

More baseboard building today (no pics at this stage, sorry).

As I’ve started to build the baseboards, I had a think about the helix to the upper fiddle yard. Whilst I know it would all just about fit, I theorised if the helix and work was going to be worth it?

It’s the extra cost (around £90 for the helix as it would be shop brought as I simply don’t have the skill set to build a competent helix), the complexity of the helix, the scenery build and the fact it would have had up to 1/4 of the layout in a tunnel, and for what? The fiddle yard can still fit in behind a scenic break behind the TMD and just have smaller tunnels.

The one benefit the helix did have for a fiddle was that it was going to be able to acccess it from both directions so that a train could come out of the fiddle, traverse the layout and then go back to the helix with no reversing.

So, the helix is out, and I may look at a way of getting access to both sides (maybe a hidden line behind the station)

In the meantime I have purchased 2x Virgin MK2 (with the aim of covering the virgin loco to make them a charter rake) and I have brought 2 sets of intermodal wagons (one dapol and one graham farish).

I was slightly apprehensive about moving from OO to N but the detail of the rolling stock is brilliant (the dapol ones are astounding),and Imlove the scale. The fact I will be able to have full rakes within what is a small space is incredible.

Anyway, not long until I can move this back into the ‘under construction’ section once more, can’t wait!

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 am

actonnorth wrote:The one benefit the helix did have for a fiddle was that it was going to be able to acccess it from both directions so that a train could come out of the fiddle, traverse the layout and then go back to the helix with no reversing.

So, the helix is out, and I may look at a way of getting access to both sides (maybe a hidden line behind the station)

An interesting conundrum! Are you ruling out any form of 'through' fiddle yard that would let you run trains straight out again when called for?

Watching a long train on a helix is somewhat fun in itself though!

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 pm

More baseboards in. Now done 2 out of 4 sides, and I’m on to the embankment boards now, then round to the station and the loop is complete.

I’ve put some track pieces along the long completed section to get a sense of scale (not tracked down or anything) and it’s going to be a good run!

In terms of the fiddle yard, there will be hidden access behind the station scene, and another on the other side of the loop in amongst the tunnels. This will then give a full fiddle yard capability. I just wanted a fiddle yard to be able to store non running trains without no having to continually put them on the track and take them off again, especially with N being so fiddly.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”