Track Designing software ?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
simontk

Track Designing software ?

Post by simontk »

Can anyone recommend a GOOD, easy to use, Track Designing software ? With the ability to add buildings and scenery. Then view your ideas in 3D.
I have bought the licwnse key for scarm, but I can not add realistic buildings or scenery ???
Something which produces images such as :- I know this says Scsrm, but I can not get it to produce such ideas ? Can you help ?
Attachments
The_Model_Train_Layout_w_the_Castle_SCARM_3D_1-460.jpg
The_Model_Train_Layout_w_the_Castle_SCARM_3D_1-460.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Paul-H

Re: Track Designing software ?

Post by Paul-H »

Hi

As you have seen from you own post SCARM is supposed to do it, as is the one I use AnyRail but it's not quite as easy to do as some users find it. You will find most of the track designing software is the same with it needing quite a good understanding of CAD design functions to get the best out of it.

Being a bit thick these days I often just design the track then colour it in and add features like buildingsxabd bridges etc by hand, or export the design as a jpeg and work on it in a paint program.

Not the answer you wanted but just to let you know you are not alone.

PS I can't get to grips with JMRI either. So I must be extra thick.

Paul
simontk

Post by simontk »

my only qualification is an NVQ in computer programming !
AND I still have trouble getting to grips with it !
They DO NOT make it easy !
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Haha. Makes me think about what I do... I start out thinking about using modern technology and spend hours just trying to figure out how to load it up etc (Not tried with model railway programs but have tried with other things along similar lines), then I get fed up and draw the plans I have and wondered why I didnt save time and draw it all out on paper to begin with? :D
While I certainly appreciate the technology and the expertize to design such programme, I am not relaxed using them, while I am with pencil (Or pen) and paper.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Scarm - no problems making a pretty 3D layout with scenery and buildings and it includes a train sim to prove your layout is workable in practice. Support by the author Mileen Peev is first class.

No longer free unless you can keep below 100 bits and pieces.

Can’t post an example as I am on an iPad not the PC running it.

Edit - once you have a trackplan use Sketchup Make (free) to draw up the benchwork for it. Again 3D interactive views.

Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester