new room

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
uksteve123

new room

Post by uksteve123 »

after a slow start things were moveing along nice the things change and its been decided to move from the spare room out into the out house which gives me a space of 6ft wide by 12ft long so new start any help or idaels would be great
cheers
Mountain

Re: new room

Post by Mountain »

Is a lovely size. You could do an interesting scene like a larger version of Bredon
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

It's boring, but issues of damp, insulation, heating and power supply all need to be considered and if necessary addressed before making a move on the actual railway stuff.
(Apart from layout planning!)

When extra space becomes available, everything wants it:
Train length,
Gentler curves,
Longer, less sharp points...
It's still going to be a matter of picking your priorities and compromises very carefully.

One thing is definitely easier, though: there's room for gradients from one level to another that aren't pushing at the limits of acceptability.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
uksteve123

Post by uksteve123 »

all power sorted insulatid new roof just been put on now planing and base board build
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

uksteve123 wrote:all power sorted insulatid new roof just been put on now planing and base board build
Excellent!
uksteve123

Post by uksteve123 »

any track plan ideals greatful welcome
cheers
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Try not to fill the boards with track. You need to leave room for scenery!
If possible consider a plan where one doesn't need to duck under to operate it. (An operating flap is OK but try to avoid the possibility of not being able to open a door if the flap is down.)
Use flexible track to save costs but if you have sharp curves, it is better to use sectional track for these curves.
To make the layout look more like a railway and less like a trainset, on the scenic areas of the layout, it does look better if your track does not align parallel to the edge of a straight board. Having the track run at an angle can trick the eye into thinking the scene is a railway rather then a trainset. The other bit of advice I heard from USA modellers is to bring a siding right to the edge of a board to give the illusion of space. It makes it look like the line goes further then it does. Just make sure trains don't fall off the edge! (You can put a few sleepers over the track a little further in from the edge to stop anything falling off. It looks like a track system which once went further. Beyond the sleepers, paint the railheads aa dissused rusty colour. While I have not offered a track plan, I hope these ideas may help in some way.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

uksteve123 wrote:any track plan ideals greatful welcome
cheers
Start by trying to pin down what you most want, or don't. There's still not room for "everything".

First question, perhaps "Do I want to take advantage of the opportunity for more than one level, or are gradients somewhere I don't want to go?"

If you like watching express passenger trains going round, each extra passenger carriage in train length looks better, but eats up space: choices.
A double track main line with a four-platform station is a classic way to alternate four trains.

On the other hand a layout base on branch-line trains, and on working minerals from mine or quarry to docks will look very different, while giving the operator or operators much more to do.
"Want Both" will mean compromises!

Chris
uksteve123

Post by uksteve123 »

food for thought cheers
B McG

Post by B McG »

uksteve123 wrote:after a slow start things were moveing along nice the things change and its been decided to move from the spare room out into the out house which gives me a space of 6ft wide by 12ft long so new start any help or idaels would be great
cheers
Superb, you can just about consider full length trains in OO! :lol:
uksteve123

Post by uksteve123 »

thats what i hope just finding time to make a start
new job seems to took all my time lol
B McG

Post by B McG »

12 foot gives the opportunity of running near full length trains, however the fiddle yard might be a squeeze to accommodate that! That and the potential curves.....