Building smoke?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
carnehan

Re: Building smoke?

Post by carnehan »

End2end, that’s very interesting and something I must bear in mind when I reach the stage of populating the layout.

Paul
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I have said my piece, as far as I am concerned, sorted.
Lumsdonia YouTube Building smoke
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Complex. :shock: :lol:
Is there a way to slow down the flow of smoke through that Timbersurf?
Also on the houses it does come out in quite a fast straight stream. Is there a way to add something within the chimney to break the stream up?
Say a criss-cross grid made from a peice of food/tea strainer perhaps?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Its not a question of slowing it down, the pump has a fixed output (only slightly varied by the supply voltage), thus if restricted by 4 very small holes, ends up as jets of high speed smoke! I fitted a leak (tee piece with a restriction on the side outlet) to the pump output (before it reaches the smoke generator pot), so I can reduce the flow of air to the generator. It results in more of a realistic dribble of smoke, but is finicky to set the balance of pressure.
Hard to "diffuse" a 1mm hole!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

a nicolette cigarette? for moving smoke or a similar flavoured one.

for still photographs you can have a go with just cotton wool, i joke thee not
6650 sorry not railway but
IMG_6650 (1).jpg
IMG_8788.jpg
IMG_8784.jpg
IMG_8661 (1).jpg
8673 creepy graveyard
IMG_8673.jpg
LED partly a reasonable upgrade i just used paint
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

Hamster bedding, most of which is grey cotton wool, makes a good representation of smoke. Use rather less than you might first think.
BrightonMan

Post by BrightonMan »

Bit off the wall but would it be possible to put incense cones in some sort of metal container at the bottom of the chimney? You would have to have access to remove the container of course. The smoke they give off is denser than smoke generators - just make sure you choose a smell you can tolerate!
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

I've not read all the replies here, so apologies if this has already been suggested but...

The type of smoke units that seem most popular in the model boating world use water to make mist. The downside to these units, is the size, you'd need a large building to hide it, or put it under the baseboard.

Plus points:

-Neither uses nor produces any heat,
-No smell
-No oily residue left on buildings
-Only uses power and tap water
-Fan speed can be adjusted to increase or decrease smoke output

Rough instructions can be found on the website of the club I used to be in, and it can be built for approx. £20. Ready to go units can be had from £40 from various model boat sites, or on eBay.

http://www.wicksteedparkmbc.com/smoke-generator.html

And a video of this type of unit working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-hizJ8US14
End2end

Post by End2end »

I wandered upon this the other day but haven't had time to look deeper into it yet.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HENG-LONG-SM ... 1438.l2649
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Buelligan wrote:The downside to these units, is the size, you'd need a large building to hide it, or put it under the baseboard.
I wonder if that outlet pipe could run under the length of the baseboard and be "t -piece'd" off to various buildings using smaller pipes/tubing thus only 1 reservoir needed. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Over too long a distance the vapour would just condense on the pipework I think, but up to a certain length it can work. I've seen copper t-pieces used so it can feed up to 4 funnels on a model of Titanic or something like that. The best bit really is how easily adjustable the fan is to vary the force of the 'smoke'.

i saw in your other post you were looking at the Hong Long smoker. I've had 3 Heng Long tanks and the smoke units have been awful in all of them. To the point that I've taken them out to avoid them accidentally being switched on and draining the power. If you still want to have a go with it, I'm sure I've still got at least 1 that I could send you to have a play with.

*Edited to add*

Something like in this video, except this particular video is an oil burning unit from Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAJVT3EhxSY

And this is the unit in the video above, no personal experience of this particular one, but I was going to get 1 a while back for a different project that I never completed: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Model-Smo ... :rk:3:pf:0
grs

Post by grs »

I came across this video last week. this guy has loads for great scenery guides

https://youtu.be/AsjkLVibwMY