Lumsdonia Website and YouTube Updates

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
TimberSurf

Re: Lumsdonia Website Updates

Post by TimberSurf »

Well I bit the bullet and have rearranged the navigation bar, it has some new colour features now too (because i worked out how to do it!
So we now have a 'How' to section that will grow rapidly over the next few weeks, enjoy! :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I now have a 'How to' page, rather than just a drop down selection, with enticing piccies and two new pages, Post spike and UTP added.
Always waiting for one of you guys to feed me some nugget of wisdom!
And as ever, please let me know if you hate it, love it, want something, found something wrong, whatever! Just give me some feedback!
Cheers
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Two more "How to's" added, the list is growing and there are a lot more that need writing up that will come soon.

Buffers
Coach Lighting
Gate crossing (New)
Industrial Lamp shades
Lamp post base (New)
Post spike
UTP

Just click the logo below, to goto
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I originally created a spreadsheet many moons ago to store all the collected useful weblinks I had found, not trusting the favourites of a webbrowser program, as I have gone through half a dozen PC's over the years and things like that tend to get lost.

I recently 'shared' my list as a webpage on my website for the benefit of others. I had to tidy up the contents and formalise the content so it made sense and was factual and up to date before I went live. Thus only those I had verified and fully expanded, made it to the site. Prompted by a forum member, I noticed signage was not a catagory in the links page and on checking my spreadsheet, I noticed there was a category but with only one lonely link! So, I have done some research and compiled a more realistic list, which I can now share with you.

LINKS

When I originally did my research, I noted that none of those available, are 're-sizable', therefore those modelling Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch may have a problem fitting the name in :o , plus the top and bottom areas are not populatable!
Thus I produced my own excel spreadsheet that overcomes these problems, I may yet tidy it up and publish it one day
Station sign sandycombe unlit.jpg
Station sign sandycombe unlit.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

BIG NEWS

Well it is for me!

I have finally decided to buy my domain and host Lumsdonia on it!

The deal has been struck, the site has been uploaded and I have begun Beta testing
I will run both sites for a while and once I am happy with the new host, I will redirect the old pages to the new URL
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

The new website address is now LIVE!

www.lumsdonia.co.uk

Have a mooch around and let me know if there are any bugs!
End2end

Post by End2end »

On the Point Motor Selection Chart there is some text overlaid on other text at the bottom of the page by the SEEP PM20's.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Thanks E2E, yes recently notice that, that page is always a nightmare every time I touch it, the table auto sizes itself :o but the picture then have be manually reajusted :cry: . I will fix it over the weekend. Cheers
End2end

Post by End2end »

No problem ;)
I checked most other things except the links on the links page. Didn't find any other anomolies.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
roganty

Post by roganty »

TimberSurf wrote:The new website address is now LIVE!

www.lumsdonia.co.uk

Have a mooch around and let me know if there are any bugs!
I have built and designed* my own websites for years; my first a gold coloured website using frames hosted on Geocities back in the early 2000's; the latest is a blog which has not been updated since 2009 powered by WordPress.

So I am always checking out the source code to find out how things are done.
Which is why I have seen a few quirks on your website that have me curious.

I see from the source code that you are using Serif WebPlus X8 to design your pages, and that may be the reason why there are 'design' choices that I don't understand.
The first one that comes to mind is the use of images to display the links on your links page.

Don't get me wrong, you have a lovely website full of great information, and I applaud you for the work and dedication in putting a website together and keeping it updated.

Anthony

PS. It has taken me ages to write this post in a friendly neutral tone. I am not criticising what you have done, I am just curious to know why it was done that way.

*Amateurishly built and designed by me using Notepad
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Hi Roganty,
Criticism/advice/debugging/questions, pretty much any feedback/comment is always welcome! :lol:
I think you must be the first one to ever engage with me about the site rather than the content!
I have had my own site for over 20 years, for my business. It is not really necessary, but when the internet boom took of, it seemed the logical thing to jump on board. Not knowing anything about the net, I just bought Frontpage and bashed out a 5 pager. It was static for over 10 years. several years back, to be able to update it, as frontpage was dead, I looked around for a free webmaker and found Serif webplus 7. It did the job. The free version did not support more than 5 pages, so after Lumsdonia took off and was burgeoning out of the 5, I took the plunge and bought the full version. A few years back, it broke and serif would not support it as it was so old, so I purchased the next version.
So you see, I don't do html, I like wysiwyg and although I did look into other mechanisms like Wordpress, I like to be in direct control of my domain and its content, so have stuck with uploading my own content to the ftp. How Serif works, I do not know, but looking at the files it uploads, lots of .jpg's with weird names, I believe it converts a lot of the graphics into jpg's, like buttons etc.
If you cut a snippet out of the code, I can compare with what I am putting in and let you know!
If you mean you had to stop yourself saying " Why the f*** would you code it that way", then I can only say, I didn't, WebPlus did!
I am slightly concerned that Serif will soon ditch WebPlus 8 for some other type of product as they say there will be no version 9 :cry:
roganty

Post by roganty »

TimberSurf wrote:Hi Roganty,
Criticism/advice/debugging/questions, pretty much any feedback/comment is always welcome! :lol:
I think you must be the first one to ever engage with me about the site rather than the content!
Your welcome :) Sometimes I reread what I have written and wonder 'why did say that', so I am glad that I have not caused offence.
TimberSurf wrote:I have had my own site for over 20 years, for my business. It is not really necessary, but when the internet boom took of, it seemed the logical thing to jump on board. Not knowing anything about the net, I just bought Frontpage and bashed out a 5 pager. It was static for over 10 years. several years back, to be able to update it, as frontpage was dead, I looked around for a free webmaker and found Serif webplus 7. It did the job. The free version did not support more than 5 pages, so after Lumsdonia took off and was burgeoning out of the 5, I took the plunge and bought the full version. A few years back, it broke and serif would not support it as it was so old, so I purchased the next version.
I started with Geocities (remember them!?) Then I moved to Lycos (remember them!?) Then when they shut shop I moved my hosting to Hostgator (I am currently looking for something else)
I have my domains (three of them) looked after by OVH
TimberSurf wrote:So you see, I don't do html, I like wysiwyg and although I did look into other mechanisms like Wordpress, I like to be in direct control of my domain and its content, so have stuck with uploading my own content to the ftp. How Serif works, I do not know, but looking at the files it uploads, lots of .jpg's with weird names, I believe it converts a lot of the graphics into jpg's, like buttons etc.
I used to be like that. For a long time I wanted to do everything my way and I was constantly saying 'it does this, but I want it like that!' (*see note)
But I bit the bullet and downloaded WordPress. I created my own theme, and coerced WordPress into doing a few thing my way. Which has caused me some issues.
Nowadays I have just left WordPress as default, and I'm even using the default theme, but that's only because I haven't updated my site (the content) since 2009.
TimberSurf wrote:If you cut a snippet out of the code, I can compare with what I am putting in and let you know!
If you mean you had to stop yourself saying " Why the f*** would you code it that way", then I can only say, I didn't, WebPlus did!
This is what I was talking about (link)
I'm not sure why your list of links is in an image.
It's not very accessible. If someone was using a screen reader, would they be able to access the content?
TimberSurf wrote:I am slightly concerned that Serif will soon ditch WebPlus 8 for some other type of product as they say there will be no version 9 :cry:
I'm sorry, but they already have http://www.serif.com/webplus/

Anthony

NB. Two out of three of my domains (roganty.co.uk and rogersfamilytree.co.uk) are hosted on Hostgator, and run on WordPress.org
My third domain (linux-links.co.uk) is also hosted on Hostgator, and I have built it entirely myself and it is all coded in PHP

TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I started with Geocities (remember them!?) yep
Then I moved to Lycos (remember them!?) yep
I have my domains (three of them) looked after by OVH See PM

I used to be like that. For a long time I wanted to do everything my way and I was constantly saying 'it does this, but I want it like that!'
But I bit the bullet and downloaded WordPress. I have downloaded it and will have a play

This is what I was talking about (link)
I'm not sure why your list of links is in an image. Me neither ! :lol:

I'm sorry, but they already have http://www.serif.com/webplus/ but have not released the fandangled replacement third one of the suite!

I will persevere with webplus 8 till it breaks!
roganty

Post by roganty »

TimberSurf wrote:I used to be like that. For a long time I wanted to do everything my way and I was constantly saying 'it does this, but I want it like that!'
But I bit the bullet and downloaded WordPress. I have downloaded it and will have a play
Have fun!
Just so as you are aware, unless you have a web server, PHP and MySQL installed on your computer you won't get very far.
By uploading to your web host and placing it in a separate folder you can play to your heart's content!
TimberSurf wrote:This is what I was talking about (link)
I'm not sure why your list of links is in an image. Me neither ! :lol:
Fair enough :lol:
TimberSurf wrote:I'm sorry, but they already have http://www.serif.com/webplus/ but have not released the fandangled replacement third one of the suite!

I will persevere with webplus 8 till it breaks!
Lol :lol: good luck

TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I have now redirected the old URL pages to http://www.lumsdonia.co.uk, so any old links out there in webland will be sent directly to the new site.

Hopefully job done!

Do tell me if you find any bugs!