New guy here looking for advice

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Jamesv

New guy here looking for advice

Post by Jamesv »

Hi guys new to the forum I've just started to convert the loft with the thought of a long term dream of mine a model railway. I know my era which will be modern pendolino, voyagers, hst and 91s big fan of virgin liveries. Also 170s and modern rolling stock would be what id would be looking to run. With a mix of freight. Just looking for some advice as I've never built a layout of this scale before always a small one running 4 car hsts and I'd like to build up a full train sets. Which the loft will be able to cope with. Being 8m x 6m it's a massive area. I'm just looking for a rough kinda figure of how much it could potentially cost and where is the best place to buy materials from.? Thanks for any help and advice.
End2end

Re: New guy here looking for advice

Post by End2end »

Hi Jamesv and welcome to the forum. :)
Sorry I know nothing of loft builds but I have attempted to improve my HST coaches.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=51555
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Jamesv

Post by Jamesv »

Hi thanks for the warm welcome, Hst sets are amazing I love them my pendolino and voyagers are my babies though. I have seen alot of stuff on forums about having to beef them up as they wont pull full sets?? But im not an expert no doubt I will have to ask later in the build lol.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Wouldn't just adding more weight solve the problem? Or is it a case of traction tyres?
I use lead sheeting for adding weight to all my rolling stock. It does make a big difference especially with stock thats too light and keeps derailing.
On the thread from the previous link I discuss about adding lead sheet to an 0-4-0 loco. Sadly I didn't take any pictures but basically both sides of the "tank" have had lead sheeting stuck inside making the loco much heavier.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Jamesv

Post by Jamesv »

Thanks end2end Ive only ran a max of 4 car hsts soo never had an issue and Id like it to be able to run briskly around the open side opposit the station area.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Adding lead weight to a Smallbrook Studio loco which uses a Hornby "Percy" as a donor locomotive.
Attachments
IMG_20180528_215552.jpg
IMG_20180528_215542.jpg
Jamesv

Post by Jamesv »

Thanks for the advice on the locos. Just the building advice now.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Depends on the structure of the loft!
Standard (best practice) would be to use 9mm ply on 4x1inch batons with stringers every foot or two, exact dimensions are up to the individual but the thicker the board the more sturdy it will be.
If your house is more modern the upside down Vee's lend themselves to act as supports and the side frames need not be so substantial (2x1inch)
Work out the surface area of the layout and divide by 8x4 sheets (32sq feet), take 30ft of batonning per sheet for support.
Don't skimp on baseboard cost, if its a long term layout as cheap flimsy materials will catch you up in a few years time (hap'eth of tar)
A timber yard or builders merchant will be more economical than the big diy chains, although some offer good cutting services for free if ready chopped up boards appeals. Wicks are however, sometimes hard to beat on price! Do some research and price up several and choose the best price/ cutting/lengths/delivery for you.
Bare in mind long/wide wood will not fit through a loft hatch :o Can be nigh on impossible if only one set of hands available.
If you think you may leave the house and want the layout to accompany you, design as bolt together sections that are no larger than the width of the hatch and no longer than 4 ft.
A piccy or two of your loft would be useful.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Jamesv

Post by Jamesv »

Thanks for the advice I'll get some pics next week when I'm off as loft conversion starts on Monday next week it's an upside down vee soo I was thinking of building it within the vee and the outer wall to provide more space for the and running it around it I know what you mean the boards for the floor and walls have been a nightmare. I know the builds a little way off at the moment but I'm hoping come September I'll be able to start the process of doing the foundations.
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Welcome

Read read read this forum it has copious amounts of information on builds, planning, layouts and more!

Sounds like you’ve got plenty of time to get everything sorted before you start to get to work

Enjoy the forum
Jamesv

Post by Jamesv »

Thanks Buffy. I spent 3-4 hours grazing the forum last night it's been excellent. Got a few things in my head now.
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Jamesv wrote:Thanks Buffy. I spent 3-4 hours grazing the forum last night it's been excellent. Got a few things in my head now.

No problem, although since I have looked through the threads I have soo many ideas I wanna lay down I think I’m getting ahead of myself!

First step for me is concentrating on getting the loft prepped and sorted
Jamesv

Post by Jamesv »

Haha I am doing I just want to get it squared up and ready to go straight through it.