hi

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Mikey57

hi

Postby Mikey57 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi all I'm just starting up a oo gauge after 32 years of dreaming I used to own onein the loft now after all these years I'm a bit rusty on what where to buy is there any good shop in or around Plymouth I don't mind travelling
thank in advance

Mountain

Re: hi

Postby Mountain » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Welcome. I'm not from round that area, but I did once get to tour a bit of Devon, Cornwall etc.
I visited the following... (Though I had heard of them, I didnt go out to find them but discovered them while passing and called in).
Intercity Models. Can't remember where it is. Is a small shop but a decent shop.
Megavissey... Has a model railway with a small shop.
Kerlow Model Shop. A good shop. Well stocked, though the young man who served me didnt seem to know his locos. I had to point to the one I wanted as what I asked for he kept going to the wrong ones. (I guess we all get days like that!)
Pecorama in Devon. Well worth a visit. Has a railway and model railways. Peco is a manufacturer.
The Engine Shed. I've not been there. However they are meant to be very well stocked.

The best advice is to buy a magazine like the Railway Modeller. Many model railway shops advertise in magazines like this.
See below ↓

Bufferstop

Re: hi

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi and welcome. There's a great site that gives you model shops by county, or within x miles of your postcode you'll find it at http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/
It also lists forthcoming events, clubs, and a host of other bits and pieces.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Model Railway Shop”