Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Coopslner

Re: Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Post by Coopslner »

I took a steer away from the shop build to actually start some scenic modelling which was great although in the very early stages.
I decided to pick a corner and expand as I go building what I need to complete each area. Hopefully this will prevent me experiencing what I normally do when I go in the garage which is stare for hours on end thinking what shall I start with. :?
Front face of new build
Front face of new build
This is my latest build from a kit which nicely compliments my other factory. I am contemplating painting a black band with white text across the front face of building of the factory name. May be something like -
'A Handyside and Co' but not sure if it will look right.
Factory yard with steam crane
Factory yard with steam crane

I have started placing the cobbles down with the pavement along with the yards cobbles which need weathering.
image.jpg
The bachmann northlight buildings also need a repaint to match my brick tones and change the windows from blue to green.
Corner scene
Corner scene
With the addition of some more walls, cobbles, working street lamps etc it should look quite nice, and makes a change that it's totally fiction so have enjoyed the creativeness.

Thanks for looking,

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Nice fill of the corner, very industrial with great use of the space with the road and walls. What are the walls made of?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Very nice, you have been busy, I know it might not be prototypical, but a siding at the low level with the tracks set in the cobbles with a loco shunting a few wagons about, would look good :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

The work being carried out in that corner of the layout is quite something Coops. The choice of buildings, shape of the yard and the curve in the road all help to disguise the awkward filling of corners on a layout. What kit did you modify to produce the building? I’m all for the painted signage on the front of the building with a hint of ghosting to enhance the look.

I missed your previous post highlighting early stage work on a couple of shops. The Hornby kit is a perfect donar for the modifications needed to produce your three storey structures, if nothing else you won’t have the fiddly shop facades to scratch build saving a little time and a lot of patience.

Paul
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

Timbersurf

Thank you for your comments, the walls are a bit of a bash from left over Wills retaining walls, all that was used were the pilar sections and the coping stones. The walls them selves are Wills english bond brick sheets cut to size and double backed. Once the glue was set I added the curve just by bending it to the desired shape. To paint it was my usual method of a mortar base coat all over then using a sponge and a mix of three brick shade applying the paint which gives the varied finish. Then finally the top stones are painted with humbrol 72.
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.96 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Mana thanks you, I did actually contemplate just that as I was going off this for a bit of inspiration, which I believe is a rare picture of the Duke street branch if not it's definitely a days gone scene from one part of Derby.

Paul, thank you very much for your positive comments. I have found it difficult to model things as per with the space I have but really enjoyed what I've done so far. The two mills are both kits with little if not no mods to them which was a nice change from scratch. The first with the stair case is by Auhagen and is marketed as a converted mill into flats. The only change made was the addition of the stair case which is two kits bashed together, then the addition of the large stack which is impressive in it's height. The latest is a kit by Walthers which is American but spotted the opportunity to make it British! The only down side to both kits are the roofs which are not tiled which is typical of the UK but I can live with that.

I am thinking of a couple of ways to do the 'ghost sign' the one most likely is to design it on the computer and print it on white transfer paper I have seen on the Bay then use the decal fix to soften it so it sinks into the brick work then weather it with the brick pallet. It may require some experimentation.

The hornby shop is a great kit in its own right but looking at it the most I am prob going to use is the shop fronts like you say. Then use the same wills kit I used on the chemist I think it's the terraced house but just extend the height. I really like the wills brick but it's just a ba***rd to cut the windows in. :evil:
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
In other news today is the first time since 1947 that the LNER has taken to the rails, al though obviously it just the name, it still carries some nostalgia hopefully it makes a success if it's self ( however the branding should have been blue!). Worth a mention. 8)
image.jpg
Thank you all

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Just found this on Facebook.

manna
Attachments
35920386_10209573336370348_8063906093010518016_n.jpg
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

Hi mana, yes it's a great picture, I have a framed copy my self, I had the pleasure to meet the artist a few years ago at the Midland rail ex. Funny fact, I actually used that picture as the basis to scratch build my friargate bridge. I traced the span from the right to half way then doubled that over to get a general out line in one perspective, so it really helped me out :D

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Here is the picture of two Hornby suburban coaches, made into a artic twin.

manna
Attachments
post-25906-0-57159400-1526938445_thumb.jpg
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

Hi Coops,

Found this photo on a facebook forum, may be of use to you.
53429823_407526699794378_4265483127197007872_o.jpg
Derby Friargate Station in 1963.

Jim.
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the photo link, I find any derby picture interesting so I will endure that it’s kept for my records .

Well it has been a long time since my last update and there is reason for it. Unfortunately I have decided to call it a day with this layout. I found that it was just too big and complex for the space I have which the inevitable result would be that I was never happy with it. I think that’s a problem when you try to copy a real life prototype knowing that I would need to compress it massively.

The track has all been lifted and it has returned to a blank canvas once more.

That doesn’t mean I have jacked it in completely though. I have an idea of a much simpler layout this time being in a rural setting. A nice country station still GNR / LNER orientated with a village scene and rolling fields. It just so happens that I have the majority of buildings required having collected a vast amount of buildings previously.

The main build will be the main station building which I have endeavoured to aquire plans of to no joy, so it will be a total scratch build to the best I can get it from pictures.

It will be set in the 1920s / 30s which will allow me to enjoy both GNR liveried wagons and locos with LNER. Of which I have been back dating a J6 loco into GNR Green (however the bloody motor has broken and I don’t have s clue how to replace it)

I have a number of industrial buildings including the Friargate bridge which will be surplus to requirements so keep an eye out on the Bay if you are interested ! :o

Once I have made sufficient changes to the base boards and layer the new track I will show what I am looking to achieve with an appropriate name change....Watch this space.

Regards

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Really sad news - first Jim's Gateside & Northbridge, and now Friargate - is it catching? - where can I get counselling?!

Look forward however to the new layout.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................! :o
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Okay, so the challenge of building Derby Friargate was a step too far. I am sure Coops has learned a tremendous amount. As far as I am concerned there is no point battling away and knowing things are not working.

What I admire about Coops is he wants a much simpler layout where it will be easier to operate and enjoy. To do that means ditching the 'grand plan'.

The funny thing about it is that whenever anyone rebuilds a layout, the new one is much better and more fun to operate.

I am sure the new layout will be built at a much quicker pace. We shall see more postings.

Looking forward to seeing the new layout.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
End2end

Post by End2end »

glencairn wrote:As far as I am concerned there is no point battling away and knowing things are not working.
Glencairn
*cough* *cough* the !!! *cough* * cough* :lol:

Good luck on your new venture Coops. I'm sure im not the only one looking forward to the new layout.
Wishing you clean tracks and green signals all the way. :D
Thanks
End2end

!!! We'll have none of that language around here, thanks
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
manna

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

%&%$#@*, at least I can look forward to another GN/LNER layout :D

Can you put up a pic of the J6, just the chassis, might be able to see the problem !! :D

manna