Paint Stripping

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Dublo

Paint Stripping

Post by Dublo »

Hello all
I don't know if anyone has posted this before. Here's a little trick that I found just the other day. The use of Dettol or Savlon as a paint stripper on plastic models. So far I have removed the paint from an old Airfix wayside hut. I poured some into an empty margarine tub, dunked the model in and left it in there over night sealed up. The following day I scrubbed the model with a toothbrush under a running tap. Hey Presto back to bare plastic.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Paint Stripping

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Another liquid that removes paint is Surgical Spirit - I had been using it to remove spider poo (yes that does exist) from a Lima coach roof and loo and behold the grey paint came off and had to be resprayed :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Notanyware

Post by Notanyware »

I find MrMuscle oven cleaner does the trick ok way back I used to use Brake Fluid.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Brake fluid is pretty ferocious stuff on plastic, but I tried to strip some Hornby canopy supports, whatever the green gunge is that they coat them in was totally resistant to it. In the end I resorted to Modelstriip and a stiff brush. I can't understand their thinking, underneath that thick green stuff is an excellent bit of Victorian cast iron adecoration, for which some toolmaker spent hours creating the tools, and they cover it up by dipping it in the paint rather than spraying it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions