Dapol new announcements.

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Re: Dapol new announcements.

Post by Bigmet »

I actually have several split chassis principle diesel models, and very good too, from Bachmann and Hornby. Superior construction and materials choices and no connecting rods compared to the Mainline/Bachmann split chassis implementation on steam models. It's not the principle I dislike, just the implementation on Chinese made OO steam models.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:Heard it all B4 from Dapol. Wonderful products coming that will place them B4 all other OO makers. Believe it when you see it, and not B4.
Arriving on Monday :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

And now we get to see what is in the box. There are now two recent - and generally well received - similarly small 0-4-0Ts that weren't on the radar when the B4 was first announced available for comparison; so it's a tougher competitive landscape.

And a picture of the mechanism shows a conventional open frame skew wound iron core motor with flywheel, and a regular cast chassis block, so well proven technique. (Dare I mention it, the drive line components look very similar to both Hornby and Oxford's recent small steam loco releases.) Good news in my book, and hopefully this conventional approach will carry over to their next three announced OO steam releases.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Apparently their is only space for a 10mm long decoder so anyone wanting a B4 for a DCC layout would be well to order a DCC fitted one.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Mike Parkes wrote:Apparently their is only space for a 10mm long decoder so anyone wanting a B4 for a DCC layout would be well to order a DCC fitted one.
It seems Dapol's policy is to make every version available in DC and DCC which I must say is way more sensible that Hornby and Bachmann's crazy hotch potch system.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mike Parkes wrote:Apparently there is only space for a 10mm long decoder ...
Well, sort of. What Dapol have done is fit a long circuit board including the socket almost the full length of the interior above the motor and drive line. (While it looks like it could control all around independent lighting on a modern traction unit, apparently this controls an LED to provide a firebox glow.)

Those prepared to remove this board and solder in a decoder will have no trouble for space.