Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
railwayjim

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm

It's all looking straight again, after your corrective measures. Also
Ex-Pat the fine detail parts now being added are bringing it to life. It
is going to be an impressive structure once finished.

Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Very impressive Ex-Pat - really looking forward to seeing in painted up.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Wow!

Nuf said. :mrgreen:

Paul

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks both Jims & Paul.

Latest developments are:

P1070836.JPG
The shutter arm is now in place together with its respective “shutter” (I have no idea of the internal arrangement of the operating arms – good job I don’t need to know!)

P1070838.JPG
The loading/tipping platform has now been added – you can just see the 2 holes at its outermost corners where this was secured by chains running over the top pullies with, it appears, heavy weights dangling from the end of the chains near the ground – if I can’t find any chains fine enough then I will just use fuse wire. Whilst I search for chains I will also have to look for the exterior lights.

P1070840.JPG
Overall view thus far – after next adding the tipping platform support bars, then will come the steps, or should I try the roof?

P1070844.JPG
“Site-test” shows the tipping platform is not too low.

P1070848.JPG
Just clears the cab roof

T.B.C. (but could be a while!)

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Looks at home next to the turntable already Ex-Pat, it's going
to be an impressive structure once finished, I'm still looking forward
to seeing it painted :wink:

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Are you telling us that this is the first test you did to ensure height was ok against a loco? :o Surely not!

It’s really looking the business though. I had a trip to Lisburn last weekend to visit a layout, there may be another longer expedition to Dundalk needed once this is complete! Or you could just bring it to Bangor with you next weekend! :lol:

Paul

manna

Postby manna » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 pm

G'Day Gents

One heck of a coal stage.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun May 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks railwayjim, carnehan [b] & [b]manna.

It might have been the first actual site test Paul (although several measurements had been made at the drawing stage).

Just a small update. I was discussing the problems of making steps with carnehan at the Bangor Exhibition recently. Mention has been made of jigs for such purposes, but they are such a lot of trouble to prepare – in fact it’s probably more involved in making a jig than the actual steps themselves.

P1070856.JPG
So I decided to try and ensure the steps were perpendicular by using a set square, having firstly marked out the position of each step on its side piece.

The first step actually bonded to the steel set square, so I soon learnt to just “tack” the next steps, quickly remove the set square, and then apply more Mekpak.

P1070857.JPG
Starting to take shape and decided to let it dry out overnight.

P1070858.JPG
By next morning the dreaded warping had set in!

P1070859.JPG
So it was pinned out in an attempt to straighten it.

P1070860.JPG
The other side piece was added and it was now only slightly out of kilter. Nevertheless I then severed 2 of the most "offending" steps and re-cemented them.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun May 06, 2018 9:57 pm

P1080040.JPG
Side posts were added – strangely enough there are no posts apart from the bottom one on the right-hand side. The upper portion of that side’s handrail is attached to the side of the main structure.

The next phase will be to construct the platform at the top of the steps and add the handrails.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon May 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Ahh, you’ve begun tackling them Ex-pat. They really aren’t a lot of fun to produce. Funny that you got warping in yours once the glue had cured. When making mine, I had two layers of plasticard sandwiched together for each side to attach the risers to. The end result is looking pretty good though and once painted will iron out any imperfections you see now.

Paul

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon May 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Nice work Ex-Pat - I also tend to avoid scratch building staircases as they are a pain (As you have found out), I tend to butcher ones from kits where possible, well done in getting yours right eventually.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon May 07, 2018 8:34 pm

I agree with Paul and Jim's comments, very neat work once again,
not the easiest things to build from scratch. You must have the
patience of a Saint!

Won't be long before the paint comes out at this rate :wink:

Jim.

manna

Postby manna » Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 am

G'Day Gents

Rather you than me, stairs, work of the Devil, many years ago I managed to pick up half a dozen Airfix signal box staircase's at a Show, still using them.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 am

Thanks carnehan, luckymucklebackit, railwayjim (your continued obsession with paint wishes is noted!) and manna.

These "simple" steps are merely a warm-up routine for the "bigee" - the signal box which, as you can see, has 3 separate interlinked flights of steps

signalbox1967.jpg

That's a year ot two down the line!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon May 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Change of tack again (still haven't finished the Kirk coach kit!).

Way back on Page 7 in October 2017 I said that things had ground to a halt on the water tower etc. whilst I searched for windows.

Well, I’ve finally got round to commissioning the windows (from your supplier Paul) not only for the row of buildings attached to the loco shed, but also for the shed itself (with 16 windows being involved there).

However I thought I would have a go at making 2 of the simplest windows myself – the first one being a large one at the base of the water tower. I didn’t research any methods but just ploughed ahead by firstly cutting out a sheet of glazing larger than the window aperture (so that I could glue the finished window to the inside of the wall without getting glue all over the window).

P1080043.JPG
The 2 side frames were cemented on, deliberately over-length so that final trimming could be done.

P1080044.JPG
The centre and top horizontals were then added.

P1080045.JPG
The first of the protruding vertical lengths was cut off roughly (final trimming to be done).

P1080047.JPG
The top half of the window had another layer of framework applied to produce the sash effect, and the centre verticals were added.

P1080049.JPG
A trial fitting required a bit of fettling and will require a small amount of filler.

I’m quite pleased with the result and surprised that it was nowhere near as fiddly as I had expected – probably because it was such a large window. The second one that I will try is much smaller and has more panes (but no sash).

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”