Flickr agrees to takeover

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

Bufferstop

Flickr agrees to takeover

Post by Bufferstop »

How much longer Flickr remains free and allows "IMG" links must now be in doubt since it has agreed to be taken over by Sugmug see here but big on pictures light on detail.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
HarryR

Re: Flickr agrees to takeover

Post by HarryR »

They say no changes to the free accounts, "at present", but realistically since existing SmugMug accounts are all "fee based" cant be long before Flickr goes the same way. Personally I wouldn't be bothered by a nominal fee for a basic account, but Photobucket's £400(?) was definitely excessive & unacceptable.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Another blooming site that has only gained a reputation and ANY content because of OUR input.
They can go fornicate themselves as far as I'm concerned. :evil:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
GeoFF03

Post by GeoFF03 »

Some Q&A posts from the Flickr blog regarding the take over. https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/04/20/t ... lickr-faq/

What are SmugMug’s plans for Flickr? Will the products be merged?
SmugMug loves Flickr and they want us to keep on being Flickr. There is no plan to merge the products. As we spend more time with the SmugMug team, we hope to find ways to coordinate our development work and provide two great destinations dedicated to visual storytellers and creatives.

Will my Flickr Pro subscription change?
You’ll remain a Flickr Pro member and continue to enjoy all the benefits of a Pro membership. We’ve just started offering a 45-day free trial for new Pros who sign up for a yearly subscription. We’re also extending this offer to folks who may have been Pro in the past and want to come back to give it a try. Learn more on our Pro page.

Will Flickr continue to have free accounts?
Yes. When Flickr joins SmugMug on May 25th, we will continue to offer free Flickr accounts.

Personally, I already have a Pro membership with Flickr which currently costs 45 USD for a 2 year term.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

It was very disheartening to get the email, I have been using Flicker for 10 years :shock: and it has always been fantastic, they say nothings going to change but it will be a case of waiting and seeing as i doubt it's going to be that simple.

I can only hope the brand of Flicker is strong enough that they leave it be, i have to say i have not heard of Smug Mug before
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

alex3410 wrote:it will be a case of waiting and seeing
Ditto.

After the Photobucket fiasco, fingers crossed this won't mean another online image links reorg.
HarryR

Post by HarryR »

GeoFF03 wrote:Some Q&A posts from the Flickr blog regarding the take over. https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/04/20/t ... lickr-faq/

Personally, I already have a Pro membership with Flickr which currently costs 45 USD for a 2 year term.
I like looking at other peoples pics but dont take many myself, but if I were doing so upgrading to Flickr pro would seem a sensible option £30 (approx) for 2 yrs is pretty cheap tbh