Ravenglass Railway

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
kebang

Ravenglass Railway

Post by kebang »

The Ravenglass Railway was originally constructed as a 3ft gauge in the 1870's and was initially used to transport iron ore from the mines to the mainline at the coast. in 1915-17 it was converted to 15 inch gauge when it then carried granite and passenger traffic. Granite quarrying ceased in 1953, leaving the line depending on passenger traffic.
Considering building a model railway (loosely based on this railway) in O gauge but using 009 or N gauge track. Does anyone know if this has been done before?
Opinions on the feasibility of this idea welcomed!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenglas ... le_Railway
b308

Re: Ravenglass Railway

Post by b308 »

It's called O9, Kebang, and yes it's been done as has the RHDR and others. There's several items on Shapeways to get you started, though you'll have to scratchbuild a lot. If you decide to be more freelance there's lots of O9 stuff around...

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?t ... ravenglass
http://www.mgmodels.co.uk/store/c42/Rav ... ilway.html
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks for the reply b308. I had never heard of 09 before your reply. Am starting to search the web now for more info. (I'm not sure If my skills are up to the challenges this will present)
I've come to a temporary halt on my other plans for constructing a 16.5 O gauge until I visit UK in May when I will examine what track is commercially available. This 09 idea will also not see light of day until June when I return to The Philippines
b308

Post by b308 »

If you join up the NGRM Forum like PinkNosedPenguin you will find several O9 modellers on there and lots of threads and info. You need to join to view, though, they had problems a few years ago and it's now members only!

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks for that info b308. I've now joined the NGRM forum. As you said there is lots of valuable info there. All the modellers seem far more experienced & more able than I so I'm just quietly reading their forum at the moment. At the very least I will be able to draw up a shopping list for when I visit UK in May!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The NGRM. Is it something I'd find useful?
b308

Post by b308 »

Yes, Mountain, I have suggested it to you before! ;)

It's a forum set up by the Chivers Family (of Chivers Finelines Kits, etc) for the benefit of all Narrow Gauge Modellers, whatever the scale. It started off as a Yahoo Group but went onto forum set-up about 10 years ago. They are a friendly bunch and there are all levels of experience, from beginners through to those who build their own outside framed chassis! Most however are in the middle like me! OO9 (and HOe) and O-16.5 (On30/Oe) are the main interests as it's a UK based forum but there plenty of other scales and interests represented, O9 and Gn15 being two of the larger ones outside the main two... There's a heck of a lot of prototype information on there as well...

Come over and join us!!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Mountain, don't do it, don't give in to the dark side, it will seduce you and we will never see you again!
b308 is the devil's messenger who will lure you away from the light!
Don't secum to becoming Darth Mountain! :evil: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
b308

Post by b308 »

I think you are too late, he's already got the NG Bug, I'm just encouraging it!! ;)
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

b308 wrote:If you join up the NGRM Forum like PinkNosedPenguin ...
Yes I've been posting on both forums recently and enjoying the best of both worlds - the NGRM members are very helpful and have offered me quite a lot of useful advice . . .
b308 wrote:It's a forum set up by the Chivers Family (of Chivers Finelines Kits, etc) for the benefit of all Narrow Gauge Modellers, whatever the scale.
Come over and join us!!
Didn't know that - and also haven't seen you over there b308; I guess you have a different username?
b308

Post by b308 »

Yep, I'm known as Hobby over there! ;)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

TimberSurf wrote:Mountain, don't do it, don't give in to the dark side, it will seduce you and we will never see you again!
b308 is the devil's messenger who will lure you away from the light!
Don't secum to becoming Darth Mountain! :evil: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Haha.I have two main sites I tend to use. This and Flashbangs site. I'm also on another though I dont use it much. Oh, and also now the NG site. I can get lost in the depths in there, but I come back up to these two main sites I use for air!
b308

Post by b308 »

Yep, you've started some interesting discussions over there... I take it you are the "Goat"?!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Yes. I tried using the same name on here but it didnt let me.
b308

Post by b308 »

Strange, there's no "Mountain" so it should have worked, ah well, never mind!