Shelf layouts above door and window height.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Mountain

Shelf layouts above door and window height.

Post by Mountain »

For those modellers short of space and yet want to run some trains, this could be the answer. There are several examples on YouTube. I'd be tempted to use some sort of side barrier to catch anything from falling off the shelf should it have a disaster!
While I've explored the concept in the past, someone suggested the same idea recently on another site so it brought the idea back to my attention.
As the models are at a height they need to be a larger scale to be more visible. In USA, Lionel 0 gauge is popular for such layouts as it turns in a tight radius (Being coarse scale) so will tuck into the room corners well without excessive overhang that would be needed for more conventional 0 gauge stock.
Also my thoughts turned to both 0n30 and 0-16.5 (Along with 0e) for such a high level layout. 0n30 offers good potential for such a layout as the USA outline locomotives are large. Having said that, my little 0-16.5 locos and rolling stock are just built for negotiating sharp curves, so would tuck well into the corners of roo ms with little overhang.
While I have seen 00/H0 being used for shelf layouts, to be honest it is not really large enough. I'd say 0-16.5 is only just large enough to make an impression.
G scale would most definitely be visible, but one needs a large room to cope with the overhang at corners.

The concept in theory is a good one and scenery is minimised. Back scenes are probably the most important aspect of scenery if one wants scenery. The most ideal high level layout is one which hugs close to the walls. The wider the shelf is, the less it blends in to the room. The idea is to have the layout not noticeable unless one is running ones trains.
b308

Re: Shelf layouts above door and window height.

Post by b308 »

As a gimmick I'd agree, but otherwise it's got little going for it. Modelling is limited, viewing is only from one angle, there's a danger of stuff falling off and breaking, overall I'd only suggest it if you were desperate! A cat would love it, though! Someone did try one on here, there's a build thread somewhere, don't know what happened to it though... I agree it's an option, but a very limited one...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Here's the thread, last updated 2013
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40837&hilit=Picture+rai
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

TimberSurf wrote:The last update was April 2016! viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40837&hilit=Pictur ... 90#p607174
I quite like that. It looks good.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

One of the nicest I've seen was indoors at a garden centre.
On reflection what made a difference was that was circling a large display area, so there was more opportunity to see it with a near horizontal angle of view.

It was also integrated with display units so it didn't look "tacked on" . In a domestic setting that would need high bookshelves or similar.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

TimberSurf wrote:The last update was April 2016! viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40837&hilit=Pictur ... 90#p607174
Time to get the eyeballs serviced :shock:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
MickleoverTestTrack

Post by MickleoverTestTrack »

If I was going that high, I'd go N-scale to keep things light.

Might not be suitable for dwarfs and midgets though.
b308

Post by b308 »

Most of the stuff I've seen at that height or higher is LGB, the weight isn't relevant as such, it's more the stability of running and being able to see it, I think N may be a bit too small!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Visibility is the main element and the ability to take sharp curves so one can tuck the layout into the corners so it doesn't overshadow too much into the room. Stability... The ability to stay on the rails. This is important, but ones track laying is probably just as important as are reliable couplings. I'm guessing one needs to ensure that ones stock is not too lightweight.