inserting lighting in buildings

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.

inserting lighting in buildings

Postby 4472 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 pm

I have got a supply of LEDs to light up some buildings. They have about a 9" tail which needs about 2" below the baseboard. So that they don't move is it ok to use something like duct tape to attach them to the internal structure. I have thought about glueing matches or cocktail sticks upright and attaching the wires to them. The LEDs are just bulbs that direct the light forward, not the 360 degree type, and the wire is quite springy.
The buildings are a school, pub, shops, houses, engine shed and a church
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

heda

Re: inserting lighting in buildings

Postby heda » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm

You can use pretty much anything to attach them as they don't give off any heat, your probably best to experiment putting them in different positions to get the best effect. If you want the insides to look brighter paint the interior white, or black paint to dull them.

Hope that helps
Dave

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:41 pm

What you have bought is not ideal, too hard to bend the LED at right Angles!
But I have an idea. Like real lamps, use a reflector to change the direction of light (mirror). So stick some tin foil at 45 degrees to the beam and direct it at 90 degrees. Thus you can glue the wires with UHU or BostiK to the inside side of the building, glue to roof, and place lamp in centre. Add the reflector to direct the beam downwards.
If the lamp is still not spreading light sideways, place tissue paper over it, it will diffuse the light so the beam is not so harsh or directional.
I can do a diagram if it would help.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Postby 4472 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm

I just want to have a small glow really, not illuminate the inside as there is not a lot to see, except the shed which could on occasions have a couple of locos. I have soft glow white LED's which are 12v so the 1st inch of wire from the bulb is stiff with the built in resistor
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 pm

What about making an internal structure to glue the LED's to then your free to wire them as you see fit?
Something like this perhaps which I made from balsa and strips of thin wood for my engine shed.
Notice the small plastic clamps in the background. These were used to hold the wire in place while the glue dried and thus keeping the wire exactly where I wanted it to stay on the structure.
EngineShed7sm.jpg
EngineShed7sm.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 227 times

And the result once in place.
EngineShed8sm.jpg
EngineShed8sm.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 227 times

It is painted the same colour as I painted the inside of the engine shed to disguise it. Wilko's Biscuit Crunch.
For more about the build read on from here - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48176&hilit=engine+shed&start=495#p636465
The big advantage is that it's removable so it's easy to work on/paint/wire up. I have made a few buildings with internal structures, some more elaborate but all removable to make my modelling life easier. :mrgreen:
Hope it helps
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”