Bachmann Branchline track

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Lembras

Bachmann Branchline track

Post by Lembras »

Hello,
My name is Chris (from France) and I'm very happy to be a new member of this great community (sorry for my bad my English).
Because I'm on a very small budget, I plan to use Bachmann Branchline track (not the best track but I already know that).
Is it really the same track than Hornby 00 track ? All your advices are welcome.
Regards,
Chris
Mike Parkes

Re: Bachmann Branchline track

Post by Mike Parkes »

The Bachmann Branchline track uses the tooling that were used for Hornby track before production moved to China.
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

From what I have seen it is very similar indeed to Hornby Track. A few months ago I bought a Bachmann Branchline trainset, which included an oval of track. I used the oval for a test track. On the first version of my first layout I used Hornby track, and later got a couple of bits of Peco Set Track to extend a couple of sidings.

Peco Set Track, Bachmann Branchline track and Hornby track are all inter-compatible.
Lembras

Post by Lembras »

Many thanks for all your replies. they are very helpful. So I'll buy Hornby track for my new layout.
Regards,
Chris
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

I can't say exactly how much it matters, but I've always preferred the Peco setrack points to the Hornby/Bachmann equivalent, because the Peco ones have tapered V rails, allowing the plastic dead-frog to be somewhat smaller.

If geometry/space allows, live frog points are considered significantly superior, doubly so where there is to be slow running: sidings!
E.g Peco SL-E91. And the short Y SL-E97 can be a significant space-saver.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The short Y is a bit of a misnomer in the "Streamline" range as it smaller and sharper than the setrack Y - surely an unique situation. Have always thought Peco should tool up the Setrack Y to Streamline standards.
Last edited by Mike Parkes on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Mike Parkes wrote:The short Y is a bit of a misnomer in the "Streamline" range as it smaller and sharper than the setrack Y - surely an unique situation. Have of the thought Peco should tool up the Setrack Y to Streamline standards.

I've always thought the Setrack Y was anomalous, with a radius of ~34".(same as the curve on the short streamline L&R points.)

In the Streamline range the short Y curve radius is ~26", still way easier that the 18" of setrack R&L points, but with a length under 6".

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Lembras

Post by Lembras »

Thank you very much for all your answers gentlemen.
Regards,
Chris
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Emettman wrote:In the Streamline range the short Y curve radius is ~26",
Its 24".