Victorian era layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
4MT

Victorian era layout

Post by 4MT »

I'm just starting on my first ever 'proper' layout, an 00 gauge end to end, measuring 60" x 14" (I have no room to go any larger)

I want to build it as a Victorian era layout...I have a Hornby "Lord of The Isles" set, which was an eBay purchase, and I've bought a couple of extra coaches to go with it...these will be stationed in a siding with a cleaning crew working on them.

Q1..Has anyone else built a Victorian era layout?
Q2..Does anyone know where I can purchase Victorian style buildings?
Q3..Does anyone know where I can purchase suitable loco crew figures and general figures to populate the layout?

Thanks..

Richard

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"my train of thought seems to be running late..."
Mountain

Re: Victorian era layout

Post by Mountain »

Hi have not, but it has been done before. Certain locos and stock can be found, though not in abundance like if one was modelling a later date.
People... Well I believe Praiser (If I've spelt it correct) may make some? (Someone can either confirm or deny this). Some layouts of broad gauge trains which were all scratchbuilt on one layout. He used ordinary people and modified them with modelling clay to give ladies lovely dresses and hats etc.
4MT

Post by 4MT »

Hi MG,

I did sort of think that may be the answer...I always pick the difficult things to do! More research needed, methinks...

Thanks for the reply...

Richard

Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Nothing springs to mind in this forum, but I have seen this one more than once at Glasgow & Warley:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9mSs2c2 ... 7P8TPDyL0-

Have also seen others but cannot recall details.

If you search for "Victorian model railway layouts" (images) you will get some hits (although a lot are Australian Victoria) - one refersto East Grinstead, but I didn't check the precise era.

Edit:There is one layout on this forum but it is slightly too late (1910):

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48067
4MT

Post by 4MT »

Thanks for the information, Ex Pat...very interesting, I shall investigate closely.

Thanks again..

Richard

Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Its an interesting idea & am looking forward to seeing how you get on :)
4MT

Post by 4MT »

Best keep your fingers crossed then, Alex...

Richard

b308

Post by b308 »

Mike Sharman was probably the most well-known Victorian Railway modeller, doing SG and Broad Gauge. In those days there was virtually no RTR models (the rather crude Lord of the Isles and Caley Single being a couple of the few exceptions)... Now there's probably more around but bear in mind that over the years many locos changed in appearance as they went through the works so quite a bit of research will be needed.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ge-layout/

As for Victorian Buildings I'm sure there are lots around (and pre-Victorian - think Churches!) but you'll just have to dig around the catalogues and remember the same comment applies to them as much as it does to locos, their appearance changes over time, TV ariels for instance! I can think of plenty of Victorian Terraces for instance! There are some foreign manufacturers who model 19thC buildings but they are not really all that suitable without modification.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=victo ... 40&bih=769
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Ex-Pat wrote: Edit:There is one layout on this forum but it is slightly too late (1910):

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48067
Hmm, what, me? Thanks for the mention!

So, Q1 - I almost am, only 10 years out, and progress very slow as I'm scratch building everything including rolling stock, whilst juggling a full time degree.
Q2 - Quite a few of the metcalfe, superquick, and hornby range is suitable for victorian era layouts, especially the terraced houses etc. There's probably a whole load more out there but I'm not very up on OO gauge buildings to buy. Googling "OO gauge Victorian buildings" gives some starters though.
Q3 - Preiser and Langley do Victorian figures, again, just googling "Victorian OO gauge figures" should give you an idea.

Just a couple of other things; the only other Victorian GWR loco on sale I can think of is Hornby's half cab pannier tank, which was contemporary with the later Lord of the Isles. Also during the Victorian era GWR wagons were painted red, not the well known grey with large white letters. See here for a bit of an explanation.

Anyway, good luck, I always enjoy a pre-grouping layout! :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
4MT

Post by 4MT »

Thanks very much, gentlemen...I appreciate your advice/comments, very kind of you.

Richard

b308

Post by b308 »

flying scotsman123 wrote:Just a couple of other things; the only other Victorian GWR loco on sale I can think of is Hornby's half cab pannier tank,
I can think of others , Bachmann's 1F for a start!
End2end

Post by End2end »

I found this seller on ebay recently for cheap 00 and N gauge laser cut buildings. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Buildings-Tu ... nwoodlaser

I personally like this one which is stated as Victorian - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HS013-Victor ... 1438.l2649

Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
flying scotsman123

b308 wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:Just a couple of other things; the only other Victorian GWR loco on sale I can think of is Hornby's half cab pannier tank,
I can think of others , Bachmann's 1F for a start!
GWR ;)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
b308

Post by b308 »

He didn't say GWR, just Victorian!

Midland 3F
NER J72 (just!)
GNR D1
LYR 2-4-2T
SECR Class C
LNWR G2A converted to G1

All the above from Hatton's Bachmann pages... I stopped at that point, but as I said, some research will give you even more... It depends on what you intend to model! There's also the old white metal kits from the likes of GEM, K's etc., which can be mounted of RTR chassis...
flying scotsman123

b308 wrote:He didn't say GWR, just Victorian!
I did though!

As you say, plenty of Victorian locos available RTR, but seeing as the OP only mentioned a GWR loco I thought I'd just add the only other RTR loco I could think of that would have been seen in the same place (save specific regional boundaries).