Hattons P and Barclay, two small locos

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Hattons P and Barclay, two small locos

Post by Bigmet »

Hattons are well on the way to transitioning to full blown manufacturer. In house research and design, manufacture by a contractor in China, exactly as Hornby, Dapol, DJM, do. Availability to begin in early 2018, development was well underway before they announced these

These two are good choices I think.

The P 0-6-0T was a lightly re-engineered 'Terrier' copy by Wainwright for the SECR. Very pretty, lots of attractive liveries, and a difficult loco to make by DIY because it is so petite, never had a RTR model before. They are actually making more variations than there were locos in the whole class!

The Barclay 0-4-0T is a good 'next small industrial steam loco' to offer after the Peckett from Hornby. There were a lot in service, sold to endless private concerns operating every industry imaginable. So provided it runs well, a real rival to the Peckett, and will test what the sustained demand for good small industrial 0-4-0s is like.

Dapol had better get their skates on, announced the B4 some years ago, and are aiming to get it out in early 2018. From being the sole prospect at announcement for a small 0-4-0T made to current standard that saw some industrial use, it looks like being third to show up; and the Peckett alone is formidable competition as it not only looks good but is a solid performer by all accounts.
D605Eagle

Re: Hattons P and Barclay, two small locos

Post by D605Eagle »

Looks like Kernow have jumped onto the "manufacturer" bandwagon too with the Southern derived 1co-co1 diesels. All the other models they have had done have been associated with an established manufacturer.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It's becoming very obvious that any skilled researcher and designer with capital and good links to a Chinese manufacturer can get into the business. It's a real risk for Hornby, and not just the immediate competition. Imagine if a few of their key people 'walked' and set up on their own account, if they become unhappy with the business direction.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I can clearly see the benefits for this, Hornby are just a distributor now, with no added value to the supply chain. If the major shops have the manufacturing contacts, capital and warehousing capacity then they don't need much else. With a well developed social media there is no real need for conventional advertising either, just a quick announcement on Facebook or a couple of forums and your product will get plenty of notice.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

If it means we get a nice range of locos like the P class i am all for it.

I would imagine that Hornby etc have terms in the contacts to stop people from going off and setting up in competition - at least for a set time period, I don't know if they would be enforceable or not.

Mind you with the time needed to research and design a loco you could get a lot done during the 'gardening leave' :wink:
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Hornby are in a perilous position really. The only things they own that are assets is their name. It would be interesting to know if they own the moulds that their models are made from as well, or if they have just been paying a Chinese manufacturer to make a certain model. With all this competition springing up left right and centre I wouldn't want to be a large shareholder with them right now.
Back to Hattons, I wonder who they got to do the Warwell? Funny how Oxfordrail got theirs out at the same time, and although there are differences there are similarities too. Were they the contractor I wonder?
Painted samples of the P class already. I wonder how long that has been in development, or is it a case of if you have the cash we can get it done real quick scenario?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:Hornby are in a perilous position really. The only things they own that are assets is their name. It would be interesting to know if they own the moulds that their models are made from as well...
They own the toolings.
D605Eagle wrote: ... Painted samples of the P class already. I wonder how long that has been in development, or is it a case of if you have the cash we can get it done real quick scenario?...
Yes. With the cash and a fully available contractor it can be a sprint.
alex3410 wrote:I would imagine that Hornby etc have terms in the contacts to stop people from going off and setting up in competition - at least for a set time period, I don't know if they would be enforceable or not.
They are not!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Anyone interested in the P class 0-6-0T should pop over to Hattons site and take a look, photographs of the production samples are on show: most of the versions are aboard ship heading UK-wards to go on sale in March. Not an item for me, but the appearance is more than satisfactory to my eyes. If the running is reported to be good, I'll be up for a 'Hattons own product' made to this standard when they do something that fits my interest.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

SECR P Class 0-6-0T Project Page

They look really nice, i have an SECR one on pre-order and have ordered it with DCC fitting because looking at the size of it i didn't really want to try it myself :lol:
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Did you not watch the video on how to fit DCC? Its a surprisingly well thought out model in that respect. Very easy indeed. You can alter your order and save some pennies.
Last edited by D605Eagle on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I spotted it after I posted the link - it is a very well thought out design, hopefully, it's as easy as it looks!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I see that Hattons have rushed samples of the Barclay 0-4-0ST to online reviewers as well as the mags. That's one in the eye for the magazines, amateurs can start promoting the product well ahead of the dead-treemongers...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

With Hornby and Oxford sharing a Chairman, which combination of name and company is most likely to survive? I can't see much purpose to maintaining the organisation in Kent.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:I see that Hattons have rushed samples of the Barclay 0-4-0ST to online reviewers as well as the mags. That's one in the eye for the magazines, amateurs can start promoting the product well ahead of the dead-treemongers...
When it became obvious that the demand for Hornby's Peckett was so huge, Hornby should have been rushing more out as fast as they could. 14 months after the first release where the **** are they???? Sorry to get irate but Hornby does that to me sometimes!
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Bufferstop wrote:With Hornby and Oxford sharing a Chairman, which combination of name and company is most likely to survive? I can't see much purpose to maintaining the organisation in Kent.
No reason for either to disappear, many firms share a chairman.
D605Eagle wrote: When it became obvious that the demand for Hornby's Peckett was so huge, Hornby should have been rushing more out as fast as they could. 14 months after the first release where the **** are they???? Sorry to get irate but Hornby does that to me sometimes!
Hornby are tied to Chinese production whereby models are made in batches and orders have to placed months in advance. Also there is the issue that simply because the first batch sold out would a second - all to often extra runs of a model have been made quickly after the first and end up flogged off cheaply.