planning ahead got problems

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
flattrack60

planning ahead got problems

Post by flattrack60 »

Attachment is a basic layout which would fit in my middle bedroom so as to not block off the window/ radiator its simple and basic but the brown track is on a higher level so i thought i would put it on another baseboard etc etc but im trying to make the 3d look in scarm but its not happening

i am listing thing need ie rescue hatch etc, it is probably over a yaer away from starting but i thought id try it out :D

Happy New Year
FT
Attachments
bed2 layout.jpg
flattrack60

Re: planning ahead got problems

Post by flattrack60 »

But i have got ayear or more to solve it :roll:
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I must admit that I'm out of my depth for now regarding computer programs. I'd be tempted to run standard gauge at the bottom and narrow gauge at the top.
You could run an industrial line at the top with the same gauge and scale?
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Using Anyrail, that comes out at as a main baseboard of a minimum of 8' 6" by 3' 6".

You have three independent systems, bar a single facing crossover.
Wants:
Access to window and radiator.

Thinking: would a simple plain single or double track here, with a 3" or 5" board count as barring access?
If not, a much better approach using an internal operating area seems possible. Just one flap or lift bridge.

What sort of trains are you hoping to run, most especially maximum length? (to set a limit for platforms, and passing or storage loops.)
Is shunting and operation a priority, or "watching trains go by"? This will affect "best design" considerably.
Modern era with double ended trains, or some need to get locos to the "right end" of their trains from time to time?

What is the actual size of the room, and what is happening in the top left?

Given these details and any other important pieces of design brief (max. number of points?), I'd be happy to draw up some suggestions
(You'd more have to tell me to stop: I like doing this, on days I'm not fit for anything else)

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

In Scarm just draw up the room shape as the main baseboard at floor level, then lay in the track at board level with all its transitions of height changes.

If you want to represent say an L or odd shaped baseboard then draw it as a polygon and set at the correct height above floor level but just under the lowest track level. To simulate board thickness give the polygon a start height and a model height (e.g. 900mm high with 50m thickness - with a lowest track level 950mm). This will render correctly in 3D.

Scarm is so simple to use you make changes on the fly and flip twixt 2D & 3D to see the effects.

Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
flattrack60

Post by flattrack60 »

Hiya folks,
Had the dreaded lurgy ,head cold ,flu like stuff still dont feel 100% but hey ho, had a play planiing not doing anything for a good while yet, but couldn`t go in my loft even with heaters on still chilly .
but theres no harm in planning :D had a few ideas to make it interesting with scenery etc etc
Attachments
bed2 mk1.jpg
veiw1.jpg
Last edited by flattrack60 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
flattrack60

Post by flattrack60 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERJpUKDXwW8

Found this too............ when your diy skills are not good you need all the help you can get :D :D
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Have you seen how cheap their wood and screws are out there? $15 Here is more like 5 times that price.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

So a layout 8' by 2' 6" equates to "not a lot of room"

For some of us that would be a heck of a lot of room!

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
flattrack60

Post by flattrack60 »

Emettman wrote:So a layout 8' by 2' 6" equates to "not a lot of room"

For some of us that would be a heck of a lot of room!

Chris

Yeh OK :? I had thopught about n gauge but .................. well , we`ll see :D :D :D