Ffestiniog "Prince"

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Blaqkaudio009

Re: Ffestiniog "Prince"

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

my prince came this morning, ive built the tender but because i have no chassis i cant build the body yet! :(
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Hi Blaqk.

I've just seen you pic of Prince on NGRM & posted a reply.

I take it you will have to get the Fleischmann chassis?? and hack it a bit! If you are then try to get the metal one if you can.

I was surprised how heavy the Prince body is! You need to adjust the chassis / body a fair bit to stop the loco tipping up :lol: Probably a good idea to change the tender wheels as the ones you get are bit cr@p.

Hope this thread helps you a bit during your build.
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

cheers, yeah i thought the same about the wheels, its 99% built, primed and half painted already, not bad considering ive been building a chicken run with dad and weathering the yard and station ballast aswell! i hope mine looks as good as your prince though!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

You always seem to get stuff done quick Blaqk!!

Thanks for your comments on my Prince loco. I think it's probably the best thing I have ever made!
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

well you have made a fine job on it! did you paint the sandboxes attacted to the body or did the body first and then put them on? because it seemed easier to paint them seperately
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Blaqk I attached the sand boxes before painting. The only bits I attached after painting were the brass bits & the vac pipes.

I also attached Greenwich couplings as I thought the ones you get with the kit stick out a long way & don't stick up very far.
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

yeha i need to order some hand rails,did you spray or handpaint the red on?
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Blaqk I hand painted the red on, in fact I have hand painted everything I have done so far! I prefer hand painting to spraying etc. I painted the stripe around the sand boxes first, then painted the green then the black last. I find its easier to get the stripes right doing it this way. The main colour can over lap any wobble on the line!

You can get brass wire & hand rail knobs from Alan Gibson (On the Scalefour website, same as PD).
HenryBlue

Post by HenryBlue »

Brilliant model, Do you think I should replace my Gem body and tender with Langleys? Im not sure, langley make the poorest 009 kits around but their kits are more detailed then Gems past kits.

also, very late to notice but is it just me or is your Prince's body higher at the front then the back, well... slanted?
[center]Image[/center]
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

HenryBlue wrote:Brilliant model, Do you think I should replace my Gem body and tender with Langleys? Im not sure, langley make the poorest 009 kits around but their kits are more detailed then Gems past kits.

also, very late to notice but is it just me or is your Prince's body higher at the front then the back, well... slanted?
Up to you HB. I haven't seen the GEM kit pre assembly, so don't know how it compares. I found the quality of the Langley kit fine.

The loco body doesn't slope, but the body can shift a bit sometimes when I have handled it as it only fastens to the chassis at the front. I checked it side on and it's fine. The body is also quite heavy which doesn't help. Also the body isn't designed for the Fleischmann chassis so both body and chassis needed some modifying!
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

mines fine aswell, i think the langley kit was a great one.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I'm using N-Drive chassis instead of the Fleschimann chassis
glosta_matty

Post by glosta_matty »

sir hayden wrote:I'm using N-Drive chassis instead of the Fleschimann chassis
Hi S H,
How do you find these chassis' fit the Prince loco? much modification compared to the F 7000??
I'm in need of a chassis myself...
b308

Post by b308 »

You might have a problem getting one, Matty! The owner of the company has had many personal problems recently and so production has all but ground to a halt. I believe things may be improving but there's a backlog. I'd suggest that if you want an NDrive chassis you ask him first. They are very good if you can get one BTW!