Mumbles Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
mumbles

Re: Mumbles Workbench

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:01 am

I've lifted this quote from Geoff's Oval thread as it will be a project at some point and don't want to clutter up his thread if there is lots more discussion about it. Hope that's OK all?

Mountain wrote:It has extra water and equipment to hide smoke emissions? Also a Westinghouse brake compressor. I don't see a spark arresting chimney though so it wasn't needed to work in an area where they carried explosives in large quantities. Some spark arresting chimneys were made to the "Neath" design so were different to conventional types, but I dont see either type on this loco.
From what I see of the loco by the way it is kitted out, it was used either elsewhere in the UK which may have had locomotive shortages, or it was used abroad.
The loco actually looks like it may have been fitted out for working on the underground system?
It has intrigued me!

The pictures again.. Ex GWR Dean Goods in WD livery. Location and other info unknown (by me!)

post-5983-0-56874500-1436461645_thumb.jpg

These photos taken at Hythe and in the Sandgate and Hythe Line Book by David Hart. I've mentioned before I know a military modeller who has an interest in Rail Guns so have an ear to bend for advice and tips. You guys I'm sure can help with the loco info to boost my shoddy train knowledge as Mountain has done already!! I'm familiar with some of the terms but that's about it!!

PSX_20171221_202918.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Some listed as Dean goods had external frames and others had just the internal frames. Were they the same loco (See explanation below *) or a mistaken identification by those who publish modelling books? I know some get confused between Dean Goods and Collett Goods calling them all Dean Goods. The cab design being the give away!

* GWR used to use extra external frames when locos were made of iron as a safety feature as prior to this there was once a horrific accident when a locos axle broke at speed and a drive wheel came completely off. It was said that if an axle broke with the GWR external frames, the loco stayed on the track and the wheels were still contained in their usual position due to having two pairs of frames. Some other companies didnt bother adopting external frames. Later designs didnt need them once decent steels came on the scene.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Mountain wrote:Some listed as Dean goods had external frames and others had just the internal frames. Were they the same loco (See explanation below *) or a mistaken identification by those who publish modelling books? I know some get confused between Dean Goods and Collett Goods calling them all Dean Goods. The cab design being the give away!

* GWR used to use extra external frames when locos were made of iron as a safety feature as prior to this there was once a horrific accident when a locos axle broke at speed and a drive wheel came completely off. It was said that if an axle broke with the GWR external frames, the loco stayed on the track and the wheels were still contained in their usual position due to having two pairs of frames. Some other companies didnt bother adopting external frames. Later designs didnt need them once decent steels came on the scene.

Isn't the tender different too?

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Just ordered July '14 The Railway Magazine, remembrance special, railways at war 8)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:09 pm

There were also some GWR locos which were a hangover from the abolition of the broad gauge. They were built with inside frames fitted with the wheels and motion for broad gauge. and converted to outside frame standard gauge locos after the change over, needing only a change of wheel sets. Similar locos then being built as new for standard gauge only.
The loco is another example of the GWR's practise of building Identikit loco's. My guess, Dean Goods frames, boiler, who knows, the tank, could be a one off or from a condensing tank as used on the underground lines, air brakes for compatibility with local stock, tender whatever was around. Although the GWR pulled out of operating the original Metropolitan line very early on, they worked steam hauled goods trains through the tunnels to Smithfield market, as did BR(W) well after there were diesels that could have done the job.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:32 pm

mumbles wrote:
Mountain wrote:Some listed as Dean goods had external frames and others had just the internal frames. Were they the same loco (See explanation below *) or a mistaken identification by those who publish modelling books? I know some get confused between Dean Goods and Collett Goods calling them all Dean Goods. The cab design being the give away!

Isn't the tender different too?

While tenders were generally remained the type fitted to the loco as new, at times there were quite some differences according to the locos depot requirements or according to what was available. Probably the best example of a weird missmatch on the GWR to keep trains in service was an ex Cambrian 4-4-0 which was paired up to the 8 wheel tender of "The Great Bear" which was the Great Westerns only 4-6-2 they made which was a huge loco in its day, hence why it didnt last long and was later rebuilt into a castle class 4-6-0.
The GWR didnt need 4-6-2's like thew LMS or the LNER did. The extra two wheels were to carry a larger ashpan for the long distance trips between London to Scotland. As the GWR had access to anthracite which burned without large deposits of ash, they didnt need to use large ashboxes on their longer distance routes so they could take advantage of the better power to weight ratio of using a 4-6-0 wheel configuration. Coupled to this, when the GWR introduced its castle class, for a while it was Britain's most powerful express locomotive. The general 0-6-0 locomotive with a tender were probably the most successful workhorse designs of all the companies. The Midland Railway which was absorbed into the LMS found them so useful that for years they would rather double head them (Or double head 4-4-0's) rather then use a single larger locomotive.
Due to the GWR's standardised parts locomotives like the Dean Goods and locos like some of the saddle and pannier tanks were almost identical apart from where they carried their coal and water. So standard were the parts used that under preservation a Prairie (2-6-2T) was rebuilt into a Grange loco if what I heard was correct.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:43 pm

On the workbench tonight!!! A little Xmas winter warming treat!! :mrgreen:

PSX_20171222_214126.jpg

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:58 pm

OK!!!!! I have done a little bit of modelling!! Coupling hooks fitted to some wagons.. I do love details like this! I've been trying to keep up at least a little and often modelling work ethic for when I don't have lots of time to do things. This was maybe 20 minutes but another little bit done in between whiskies! :lol:

PSX_20171222_225501.jpg

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:30 pm

mumbles wrote:On the workbench tonight!!!

mumbles wrote:OK!!!!! I have done a little bit of modelling!!

It is alright for some, I have had to clear the decks completely and tidy everything away :(

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Dave wrote:
mumbles wrote:On the workbench tonight!!!

mumbles wrote:OK!!!!! I have done a little bit of modelling!!

It is alright for some, I have had to clear the decks completely and tidy everything away :(

Luckily our kids are teenagers and my girls live with their mum (just come to stay), my other half's daughter is 19, her son lives with his dad and they all don't mind me fettling and they haven't started making grandkids yet thank god!

Im sure that will change at some point.. 20 years time would be nice!!! :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:43 pm

mumbles wrote:On the workbench tonight!!! A little Xmas winter warming treat!! :mrgreen:

PSX_20171222_214126.jpg

A little bit expensive for track cleaning isn't it? I find clear alcohol works better.
Last edited by Mountain on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:43 pm

When they do make you a grandad you'll discover something amazing. Grand kids are the reward for the years you spent bringing up their parents, believe me.
Merry Christmas
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Bufferstop wrote:When they do make you a grandad you'll discover something amazing.

At the peak in a couple of days our tranquil home will have an extra, two parents, three kids, three partners, two grandkids, three dogs and four cars :roll:

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:06 pm

And you can give grandkids back!!! I'm sure when they do come it will be lovely!

I don't envy you Dave!! I hope you have a wee dram to see you through :lol:

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Other than couplings, the 7 planks are done. The rail was quite fiddly but seems equal enough across all 3. Next up 4x 10tn vans

PSX_20171223_134948.jpg

PSX_20171223_134927.jpg

Edited, 10tn not 12!

Return to “The Workbench”