Tom's Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
rosenblad

Tom's Workbench

Post by rosenblad »

I thought it was about time I presented my workbench. As I am disabled, I would like to start with a few items that make life so much easier for me, hoping that they might make life easier for everyone else as well! Here is a photo of my current workbench:

First is a stirrer for paints. It's probably the most basic tool in the world, but when the fingers are bad it helps a lot when the knitting pin is a bit thicker. Here is a 3mm pin inserted in a piece of 6mm plastic rod and fixed with epoxy. The other one is a piece of 0.5mm piano wire iserted into the same 6mm plastic with epoxy. This is very good when you need to place a bit of epoxy or other type of glue in tight places.

Next one up is quite simply a piece of wood(!) that I use to replace the lids on my Humbrol tins. It really saves the hands! I painted it so it would look a little bit better!

Last, but not least is an paint stirrer powered by 2 AA type batteries. That makes stirring quick and easy! Mine was bought at MicroMark in the USA. The rest of my tools are quite conventional, so they will remain unmentioned!

The white place mat is very useful when small parts are placed on it. They are so much more easilly seen!
Carpe Diem!
skyblue

Re: Tom's Workbench

Post by skyblue »

Some good tools you've got there - looking forward to seeing what you produce with them.
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

I guess it's about time I made an entry in my workbench thread, so here is a NEM conversion of a Hornby Railroad Pullman coach.

First I removed some of the floor as shown in the first and second photos:

I chose to use the Symoba system. This mechanism was glued directly to the floor:

The bogie must be modyfied to make room for the NEM pocket. The Roco coupler was installed, and the height adjusted by checking against an RTR coach with NEM couplers, and the excess pin removed before fixing with solvent:

Here's the end result close-coupled to a Hornby main range coach:

Carpe Diem!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Neat work. Keep it coming !

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

I've started installing interior lighting in my buildings. First I give the interior walls a coat of matt black that acts as a light block preventing the light from shining through the walls. Then a coat of light grey that helps spread the light evenly inside the building. I use screw sockets with LED-bulbs, simply glued to the top of the roof so that you don't look straight at the bulbs when you are in line with the windows. A plastic drinking straw is glued to the wall, acting as a conduit, keeping the wires away from the windows.

Carpe Diem!
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

After Photobucket ruined all my posted photos, I am trying a new site. Here's my latest uncoupling tool. It's simply a bent wire fastened to a torch with heat-shrink tubing. It's so much easier to use than my previous ones without lights!

Carpe Diem!
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

One of the chimneys on my Hornby Skaledale Goathland Station was at an alarming angle ( :shock: ), so something had to be done. Some years ago I made a couple of jacks to use when setting up parts for milling. This was used to press the chimney into position while heating the chimney with a heat gun used for heat-shrink tubing. Voila!

Carpe Diem!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Great tip. Thanks Tom. :D

This is the first time I've seen your workbench thread. Is there any possiblity to fix the missing pictures?
I think one member has done a tutorial here on the forum somewhere. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

rosenblad wrote:One of the chimneys on my Hornby Skaledale Goathland Station was at an alarming angle ( :shock: ), so something had to be done. Some years ago I made a couple of jacks to use when setting up parts for milling. This was used to press the chimney into position while heating the chimney with a heat gun used for heat-shrink tubing. Voila!

Those buildings are resin arnt they? You've given me an idea on how to fix the occasional resin defect, assuming the resin I use is the same. I've run out of resin for now though.
Is a shame photo bucket changed their ideas, but it is up to them. After all. They want a reward for their hosting efforts. Do they still have members? :lol:
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

End2end, the photos are lost, and so is my backup. I may simply take new pictures.

Mountain, yes they are resin, and the straightening job was very easy! They certainly don't have me on teir list any more! :x
Carpe Diem!