Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 backwards compatible

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Paul-H

Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 backwards compatible

Postby Paul-H » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi all

Hope someone will be able to answer this

I have one of the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 system and was looking to pickup a second walk around handset. The correct model is the DCC14 but that is almost the same price as a complete setup so befor I buy one I was wondering if the earlier model used with the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 1 would work, the only difference I can see is the lack of LCD backlight and they are quite a bit cheaper than the DCC14.

Anyone used one with the newer system, did it work or a total fail.

Thanks in advance for any help with this

Paul

Peterm

Re: Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 backwards compatible

Postby Peterm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: the answer on MRF, why not contact Gauge Master by phone or email. They're helpful and will give you the info' you need.
Pete.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks for the reply

Problem solved, I managed to snag a mint advance 2 system with two controllers for less than the cost of one DCC14 so now have 3 walkarounds and a spare power box

Paul

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 am

Paul-H wrote:...I have one of the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 system.........
......I was wondering if the earlier model used with the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 1 would work.....

Paul, I hope you don't mind me pointing out that there is no such thing as a "1" or "2".
The 2 in the name of the current model should be in superscript, to indicate "squared" (i.e. Prodigy Advanced Squared).

Cheers

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm

BananaRepublic wrote:The 2 in the name of the current model should be in superscript, to indicate "squared" (i.e. Prodigy Advanced Squared).

And the meaning of 'Squared' is what. Model 1 superceded by Model 2 I understand - Squared does not compute.

Has anyone noticed that at times a GM PA2 will say it has finished programming when in fact it is still doing stuff. e.g. if you whip a loco of the track immediately it says its finished it might not have so done and the programming then fails. A sure case of 1 pause 2 pause wait for it...
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Programmable non volatile memory chips (that's flash memory) sometimes behave in an odd way, which might explain the "still doing stuff" condition ,they don't always become instantly read able. Heaven only knows why, I've had it happen a number of times. The classic was upgrading the firmware in an ADSL router (D-link I think) which appeared to fail completely, that is nothing appeared to have changed. So it was shoved in the draw and substituted by a newer one. When the panic was over and there was time to try again, I retrieved it from the draw, set it up connected to a laptop logged into it and in the parameter setting menu there was the missing option that caused the need for an upgrade in the first place. Not only was the option there but it was set to the new increased default that was required. How long it required to acknowledge its upgrade is still a total mystery, but it's probably ten minutes longer than any time you decide is long enough.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:22 pm

RAFHAAA96 wrote:
BananaRepublic wrote:The 2 in the name of the current model should be in superscript, to indicate "squared" (i.e. Prodigy Advanced Squared).

And the meaning of 'Squared' is what. Model 1 superceded by Model 2 I understand - Squared does not compute.

I've no idea why they chose "Squared"
The current version of the Prodigy Express is also "Squared".

Whatever, there is no "2" .....plus, the "Squared" is actually version 3 (the Prodigy came before the Prodigy Advance).

That's enough pedantry from me today. :D

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am

I see MRC, the manufacturers of the Prodigy DCC system, are releasing a WiFi interface which is a totally dedicated WiFi unit (uses its own router). This will allow up to 8 smart phones or tablets to be used with the DCC system. Apple and Android devices are catered for by using commercially downloadable Apps.
I wonder if Gaugemaster will sell this under their brand name?
http://www.modelrectifier.com/product-p/0001530.htm
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:48 am

Surely if Gaugemaster call there current Prodigy Controller the Advance 2 then its predecessor just called the prodigy Advance is valid to be called the Advance 1, there is no mention on the Gaugmaster website of the Squared reference ?

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:25 pm

What about this http://www.modelrectifier.com/product-p/0001417.htm - would not Hornby get a tad upset about the name clash.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Paul-H wrote:Surely if Gaugemaster call there current Prodigy Controller the Advance 2 then its predecessor just called the prodigy Advance is valid to be called the Advance 1, there is no mention on the Gaugmaster website of the Squared reference ?

Well they actually refer to it as the squared.
See the web site and photos.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/gmdigital.html

http://www.hmrg.co.uk/techtops/advance2pics/step6.jpg

Often it appears erroneously typed as "2", which may be a failing on the part of those who created the web pages etc, (couldn't find the superscript shortcut?).

Return to “DCC Forum”