Hornby TTS Sound, any good?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Paul-H

Hornby TTS Sound, any good?

Post by Paul-H »

Hi all

I am returning to model rail after a few years layup and would like to get back into sound equipped Locos

My only experience is with ESU Loksound decoders which where expensive then and even more so now, however I notice the Hornby do a digital sound system in their TTS decoders, which are a fraction of the cost of Loksound decoders.

What are the views of this system, any good, not worth it, what are they like, any short comings or drawbacks.

Thanks for any input on this.

Paul
Last edited by Paul-H on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Re: Hornby TTS Sound, any good?

Post by TimberSurf »

I have limited experience, but have done a lot of research. (I own 1 SH bachman and 5 x TTS)
Non TTS are blown with specific files to that engine, they have a multitude of additional 'function button' sounds but also other ones that play automatically. TTS cannot be blown with different sounds. TTS have very few 'function button' sounds and they are all manual. TTS have very few CV's you can muck about with. The most annoying being you cannot 'synchronise' the chuff rate with the wheels! (it also doesn't follow the speed linearly).

TTS is very basic, has no flexibility, no chance to modify, but works out the box for very little money.
Non TTS cost a lot more, do a lot more and are open to programming/modification (also work out of the box if factory fitted with loco)

You pays yer money and you takes your choice! It's down to what you want, just sound on the layout or the ability to get advanced features and customisation.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

Having looked at this on a number of blogs, I agree completely with the previous comment. I also lament the generally higher cost of DCC sound in the UK compared to here in the USA. HOWEVER, I note that the November 2017 issue of Hornby magazine carries an advert for the Soundtraxx "Econami" line of UK DCC sound decoders. Having used these, I'm quite pleased with them. Significantly less costly. see. page 156. I believe Gaugemaster is the UK distributor.

George
North Carolina
BananaRepublic

Post by BananaRepublic »

Some (possibly all) of the TTS decoders are proving to have problems working with various DCC systems.
There are lots of reports of people having difficulty with these decoders.
Hornby are supposed to be working on a solution to the problem.

RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

The TTS problems are fully resolved apparently, but its a matter of time to get these fixes to the user as it means returning the decoder/loco to Hornby to reprogram the PIC code of any affected decoders

Hornby posted a statement on their DCC forum essentially asking folk having problems with TTS vs other controllers to contact them for the way ahead towards getting them fixed

I understand that Hornby is now proof testing their decoders with a wide variety of other make controllers. I don't suppose that extra effort is reciprocal by the other manufacturers. Well done Hornby for going above and beyond to ensure their decoders work with other makers kit.

Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
BananaRepublic

Post by BananaRepublic »

RAFHAAA96 wrote:.......Well done Hornby for going above and beyond to ensure their decoders work with other makers kit.
I wouldn't say they've gone "above and beyond" at all.
Decoders should comply with the DCC standards and work with any system that is properly DCC compliant.

RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

BananaRepublic wrote:
RAFHAAA96 wrote:.......Well done Hornby for going above and beyond to ensure their decoders work with other makers kit.
I wouldn't say they've gone "above and beyond" at all.
Decoders should comply with the DCC standards and work with any system that is properly DCC compliant.
Which other manufacturers have a selection of other makers kit to aid their R&D I wonder.

NMRA standards are a bit like NATO standards - everyone makes their bits to their version of the common standard and sometimes these bits don't play nice together. Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt, on a cold, wet foreign airfield cursing the various committees that approved the 'standard matching' parts that didn't.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

I use Digitrax
I have 3 TTS sound locos
All work very well but the best one is KING GEORGE
It is very. Good

HOWEVER Out of the box. Has to be the Bachmman.
The other is a Bachmann with ESU sound decoder with Olivia sound.

All locos have tenders.
I dont have any locos with sound other than these.

Biut in main
answer to your question
I am really happy with all of them.
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

Forgot to mention
I only run Steam so cannot comment on Diesels.
forest446

Post by forest446 »

I have a few TTS locos
Mainly steam an couple of diesel locos.
Yes the ability to add lamps an smoke units not amazing. The speakers can be a bit tinny they are easily swopped to a sugar cube one.
There £30 that’s cheaper than a standard decoder was a few years ago
I have the dapol black label A4 an yeah it’s sound is obviously better but it was 5 times the cost.
So It depends what level your after.
With no need for synchro on the diesels there fine from the box
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.
kevin sharpe

Post by kevin sharpe »

Not bad value for money a good tip for them is to change the speaker i like them and i can have more than one sound loco
richardcroft

Post by richardcroft »

I think they are very good for the money, especially if you upgrade the speaker. I recently fitted a megabass speaker into the tanks on this class 37 for someone and I think the TTS decoder sounds great. Especially if you use f7 and f8 to notch up and down, its a similar but more basic way of controlling the engine sounds but not the speed like you can do with drive lock/drive hold on more expensive decoders.

It can be seen here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cYgLHKKg74

Richard