Goods yard ground cover

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
muggins

Goods yard ground cover

Post by muggins »

It's just dawned on me that I haven't a clue how to do the ground in my (00) goods yard. I have the track ballasted, but what do I use between the tracks to give me that archetypal steam-era goods yard surface?

The effect I'm after is where the ground is getting on for level with the top of the sleepers, it merges into the track ballast, and as far as I can recall seemed to consist of gravel, mud, ash, cinders, more mud and 101 different types of grot and filth of an indeterminate dark grey/brown colour, sometimes brightened up here and there with the odd puddle and patch of half-dead grass and weeds.

Is what I need a thin coating of tile adhesive/grout with a bit of acrylic colour in it? If so, how do I get it on so there's no spreader marks on the surface when it goes off?
NickH

Re: Goods yard ground cover

Post by NickH »

I used textured masonry paint, in my case a pale cream left over from painting the house, with added acrylic black paint to suit. Tester pots can be useful, I've recently found that the more expensive ones can be better value, as many of the cheap ones contain little actual paint.
muggins

Post by muggins »

NickH wrote:I used textured masonry paint ...
What a jolly good idea! Hmmm ... I reckon it's time to try adding various stuffs to emulsion paint to see what I can come up with :)
CandO

Post by CandO »

NickH wrote:I used textured masonry paint
Do you think the textured ceiling paint would have the same effect ??
NickH

Post by NickH »

I am not sure what constitutes textured ceiling paint, but I suspect it is not the same as masonry paint, which seems to consist of some sandy type of material added to the paint giving a grainy finish, whereas I wonder whether the ceiling paint is more substantial to create Artexy effects.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Sounds pretty much like it, you can never really stir the grainy stuff into the paint and it's foul when you try to wash the brushes out, you end up with a bowl of sludge, but it does leave a random grainy surface.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions