Power connector between baseboards

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
retiredoperator

Re: Power connector between baseboards

Postby retiredoperator » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi Timbersurf. That means soldering , and the modeller that posed the question mentioned having to learn to solder. My experience of soldering small pins is limited. That is why I suggested “Crimp on Connectors”. Happy modelling. Kev

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:48 pm

The original OP never mentioned soldering and then commented he might go for 'D subs'! It was carnehan that swerved from soldering! :lol: and this thread is very old :? , I was just commenting on my opinion about "Anderson Power Poles". SCART are probably the easiest connector to solder as both rows are very easy to get too and big!
Connectors are an emotive subject as there are so many to choose from and everyone has their own 'pet' favourites. Its down to personal preference and "Half a dozen to three"
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Flashbang. After my suggestion of”Anderson Power Poles” was shot down I went for
Sub D connectors , but I made the mistake of purchasing the ones, advertised fifteen way (5-5-5) type. Not knowing anything about the 9 way which is all I require. Would you please name an outlet where the 9 way ones are available? Happy modelling. Kev

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 am

retiredoperator, I was not using the AA gun, merely pointing out ”Anderson Power Poles” don't end up cheap :D
Heres a best of all worlds solution, 9 way that does not involve soldering! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-pin-D-Sub-D ... 1438.l2649
not sure if the male version is available and the add makes no mention of current? So be warned as Flashbang says, they come in many varieties. Deemed commercial, industrial and military spec, with formed, turned, plated, silver, gold, etc pins, they range from pennies to £30 a connector!
Dont buy the cheapest, they may well only be rated at 1 amp or less, try any of Maplin, CPC, RS Components, farnell, etc, but do research the spec before buying.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:10 am

Hi
The mating connector with terminals is sold by the same supplier as the one linked to by TimberSurf. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DB-9-Pin-D-SUB-Jack-Adapter-To-9-Position-Terminal-Connector-Signal-Module-K6-/292083635541

These are the same but with a case to protect the wires. May not be the cheapest but they are the first I found! Link 1 to cased male 9 way D connector
From the same supplier the mating other half... Link 2 to cased Female 9 way D connector Expect an average two to three week post time for goods from China.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 am

Thank you Timber Surf and Flashbang My experience with eBay is poor and the goods that I have purchased sometimes come from a “Questionable Source” and the delivery time coming from “half way around the World”.i am not afraid of soldering, and I am only connecting an LED Panel to the baseboard for manual switching of points, as a reminder . Best wishes Kev

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Have to agree with TimberSurf.
I thought soldering was out. But if you're happy to solder the 9, 15 or 25 way D connectors are plentiful and cost low £. Caution if obtianing the 15 way D. Only purhase the two row type. The three row high density 15 way is a pain to solder wires in.

Other suppliers are for example .. Bitsbox or Brimal
Maplin are ok for a one off quick purchase, but are expensive!

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I've found the cheapest to be the power connectors used inside computers

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4-pin-male-to-female-cable-to-3-pin-male-adapter-a00bf
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:48 pm

michaelasc wrote:I've found the cheapest to be the power connectors used inside computers

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4-pin-male-to-female-cable-to-3-pin-male-adapter-a00bf

Might I ask how you would connect wires to that?

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:56 pm

TimberSurf wrote:
michaelasc wrote:I've found the cheapest to be the power connectors used inside computers

Might I ask how you would connect wires to that?

I cut them in half so that the outer ends connect to each other, then I solder the power / signals / point wiring to the cut ends on both ends and, voila, you have a simple connector between baseboards that can be separated if needed but is very solid otherwise.

They also make much bigger ones with up to 20 cables connecting at the same place like this one in the US:

https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/power-products/power-y-cables/product-11w3-07209.php

or this 24-wire one in the UK:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/24-pin-atxbtx-extension-cable-015m-a21gf
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:14 pm

I thought as much, it kinda defeats the point of having a connector by virtue of still having to solder every wire and then insulate each joint!
Certainly not the most pretty or elegant system, however I can see, that if you can solder, it makes a high current connection, very cheaply :D

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi Modellers. Not only that, but having a cable “flapping about” whilst the layout is in transit, causing possible damage, rather defeats the idea. Better to have two sockets, one screwed securely on each board and connecting cable to connect the boards once on site.
Happy modelling Kev

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:46 pm

No need for any cable to be loose when the layout is in transit,
My club layouts use either wooden clothes pegs glued to the baseboards undersides and the cable is held secure in the jaws of the peg. Or elastic strips are fixed to the undersides and the cable is passed between board underside and the elastic strip.
I have found if cables are free and plug in at both ends they can all too easily get left behind! Nothing like turning up at an exhibition minus one or more connecting cables! :oops: Fixed at one end and clipped out of the way means they are ready for use and cant get forgotton. :D

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Flashbang. Thank you. Well said, what a good idea. But, there’s always one? and here I am. Up to date I haven’t built a big layout due to lack of space. Therefore it is portable a shunting plank only. And then only to a “LED only Panel”, as I keep forgetting to throw the points, operated by WIT. I will try to adapt your idea to suit. Happy modelling. Kev

Return to “Electronics”