Fiddle yards- how do you build yours?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
pete12345

Fiddle yards- how do you build yours?

Post by pete12345 »

My "minories to continuous run" plan is taking shape. The one thing missing is the rest of the world beyond the Coventry area- the fiddle yard.

The basic plan is for trains to leave Coventry(WR) station and join the main circuit going clockwise. After a few circuits, they'll duck into the yard before eventually returning anticlockwise.

The simple traverser or fan of sidings works well enough, but really I'd like some means of reversing the loco at least without excessive handling. Perhaps a loco cassette of some sort so the loco can be lifted, turned and moved to a spur at the other end? How do others build theirs?
Mountain

Re: Fiddle yards- how do you build yours?

Post by Mountain »

If modelling in 00 or H0 gauge the answer is easy. Buy a Peco locomotive lift.
As I wanted one to use for 7mm narrow gauge I had the problem that the lift wasn't built to take my rolling stock width and height, so I had to totally rebuild it to accommodate my items.
As standard form the Peco loco lift will accommodate a long diesel like a class 45, 47 etc, or a steam loco like a Duchess or a Class A4, Flying Scotsman etc.
I hope this helps.
Just to let you know, the loco lift sits on top of standard straight code 100 track and the locos just drive right onto it. You can pick it up and turn them around and place at the other end of the train and just drive the whole train with coaches or wagons straight through the loco lift as if it wasn't there.
For 00 gauge, loco lifts can also be used as a stackable storage solution but few of us would have the funds to buy so many!
Be aware my loco lift looks different as it is only the floor that is original.
Attachments
IMG_20171010_220053.jpg
IMG_20171010_220137.jpg
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

That fits in neatly with my initial thoughts. So a fan of sidings off the double track, with a headshunt/loco spur where arriving locos can be lifted, turned and queued up awaiting the next train :)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Here is a link to it from the Peco website.

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strP ... P_ID=17331

You don't even need a headshunt as you can drive thew whole grain through it.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

pete12345 wrote:How do others build theirs?
In almost infinite variety, I expect.

My last but one was a three track train turntable, very nice, but only good for short trains and where the couplings are end-symmetrical.

My latest was a sector plate with additional loco traverser at the end. Again for short trains, though this would work for any length.
DSC00969.JPG

Length-saving was the priority in both cases, so fan of points was not wanted.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."