Running Older Stock

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Olli

Running Older Stock

Post by Olli »

I plan to use a mix of new stock and old stock on the same tracks with my new layout (just a plan right now) and I understand there's an issue with the wheel standards on the older stock not working on newer track. Particularly at points.

Is there a new track that will work? I've heard Peco code 100 mentioned a bit but nothing definitive.

I have the alternative of using old triang super 4 (?) track of which I have a load which I was given but it's all corroded and some is damaged. whilst I'm not opposed to cleaning it up, I'd prefer something easier to obtain more of and made from nickel silver so its easier to maintain. Also I'm not sure if newer locos will work as well on it?

Basically has anyone got experience of doing this? I'm not too fussed about sleeper spacing and all that, just so long as I can run my stock on it!

Cheers!
Olli.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Running Older Stock

Post by luckymucklebackit »

First of all I would bin the Super 4 Track, it firmly belongs in the 1970s. Alternatively try Ebay, there are guys who collect old Tri-ang stuff. Secondly can you define what you mean by "old stock", the oldest I run is Lima and even with the pizza cutter coach wheels they run on code 100 Peco with very little problem, however if you have Tri-ang Hornby from the 1960s you will find that the wheels are just too coarse for code 100, I have a couple of Trestrol wagons, one is the R242 from 1974 which runs OK, the other is the same R242 catalogue number, but a different colour from 1964 which is a non-runner as it need replacement wheels.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Olli

Post by Olli »

I'm unsure on the actual age bit the oldest is triang so possibly 50s and 60s. Also Lima which if your running it on peco 100 should be fine and some GMR. The rest is modern...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The old Triang will be the problem. Coaches and wagons are fairly easy to rewheel or re bogie, their couplers are also only marginally compatible. Steam locos are the hardest to rewheel and may not be woth the effort, the old X03/4 motor is a survivor, as long as its magnet has held out. Easy to replace if needs be, the wheels not so easy, can be done but needs a level of mechanical skill and if there's not a compatible wheelset from Hornby the alternatives cost.
For alternate course of action, look here.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

This sounds the perfect excuse for a code 100 point and a little bit of track as a test-bed.

(or two points as a crossover if feeling flush: that's often a tougher test)

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
SRman

Post by SRman »

Bufferstop wrote:The old Triang will be the problem. Coaches and wagons are fairly easy to rewheel or re bogie, their couplers are also only marginally compatible. Steam locos are the hardest to rewheel and may not be worth the effort, the old X03/4 motor is a survivor, as long as its magnet has held out. Easy to replace if needs be, the wheels not so easy, can be done but needs a level of mechanical skill and if there's not a compatible wheelset from Hornby the alternatives cost.
For alternate course of action, look here.

Agreeing with all your points here: I have successfully persuaded old Triang steamers through newer code 100 pointwork by the simple expedient of moving the drivers out on their axles very slightly to increase the back-to-back measurements. There is a little bit of leeway with the insulated wheels on bushes to move them on the axles. I use a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers to lever them evenly from both sides of the axle at the same time.
Olli

Post by Olli »

Thanks for all your advice! Looks like Pico code 100 is the way to go. I already have the glass cabinets if it doesn't go too well :) I've heard this term back to back a lot when looking at this and I've no idea what it means... :shock:
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

B2B is the measurement between the backs of the wheels (inside edge to inside edged), it can be measured with a digital vernier or with a ready made gauge (go/no-go) like this http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details ... CDCG-BB145.
As wheels are only "pushed" onto the axle, they can move and make the B2B incorrect, causing derailments etc. So ensuring all your stock has the correct B2B will eliminate at least one problem.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

These young whippersnappers know nowt :wink: Triang drivers didn't have to move on the axles they were set closer than what we now call standard, it was a pipe dream in those days. Triang points started by using moving rails that needed no crossing gaps or check rails. MK3 (with separate sleepers) and Super 4 had more normal looking points but it wasn't until they switched to code 100 which was dimensionally identical to Peco Settrack that most RTR models could run on the same track. The change in wheel dimensions wasn't a step change, various models changed at different stages. Triang's running test was one lap of a circle of track, so the different wheel standards could all pass the test. Apart from a big splash about the intro of Super4 not much was said about wheels and track.
Olli

Post by Olli »

Ah OK, that makes sense. So is there something like a data sheet on what the back to backs should be?
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

For 00 the NMRA H0 standards are used, why re-invent the wheel :wink:
have a look here.
Scroll down for metric equivalents. We usually quote the back to back for 00/H0 as 14.5mm.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Incidently, old Triang wagons and coaches can easily be converted to modern metal wheels. Some just need top hat bearings fitted, while metal bogies and chassis will need the new wheels removing from the new axles, and using the old Triang axle to mount the new wheels on, but dont forget to mount some plastic spacers made from a thin drinks straw so the wheels dont have too much play.
I enclose pics of the results of such a conversion.
Attachments
IMG_20171002_192016.jpg
IMG_20171002_191957.jpg