Help needed - "Dad can we have bridges and tunnels?" UppyDownyRoundyRoundy Railway

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Roger (RJ)

Re: Help needed - "Dad can we have bridges and tunnels?" UppyDownyRoundyRoundy Railway

Post by Roger (RJ) »

I think it's because the loco is pulled more firmly in contact with the rails, a bit like adding extra weight.
b308

Re: Help needed - "Dad can we have bridges and tunnels?" UppyDownyRoundyRoundy Railway

Post by b308 »

Dragonfly wrote:Have you considered just having two entirely separate sub-layouts on two levels, and get rid of the gradients?
They don't NEED to be connected to one another.
Thats not a bad idea, though I would connect them, just a single line would do... Now where's Chris and his layout planning software!
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Dragonfly wrote:
Have you considered just having two entirely separate sub-layouts on two levels, and get rid of the gradients?
They don't NEED to be connected to one another.

Thats not a bad idea, though I would connect them, just a single line would do...
Yes, I'm not sure that the "small Controller" would go for them being fully separated though, also I think the prospect of any single line connection would be a recipe for head on collisions so I was trying to avoid that. :wink:
I think it's because the loco is pulled more firmly in contact with the rails, a bit like adding extra weight.
I thinks that's what I read somewhere too - not that it registered as being a major selling point as I felt it might have been a minimal additional benefit as opposed to being "Wow, I am amazed at how little I have to clean that track now......" :wink: If it removes most of the well publicised issues with steep gradients it would be well worth it for me on that alone.

Now, time to have a final rail enthusiast special on the trackmat before the permanent way gang move in to lift the rails....... Dismantle the extremely heavily built basebords and get down my 8X6 tailchaser from the attic and find out how much of that I can repurpose for track and timber - I cant recall if I glued and screwed those baseboard tops.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The connection between Powerbase and track cleaning is just that, it improves the contact pressure. Like all schemes that allegedly avoid the need to clean the track it will put it off for a while at the expense of eventually having to do a much tougher and fiddly cleaning job on the wheels. At least it's compatible with DCC unlike the Relco and its imitators.
If the layout provides for the needs of two generations two independent loops may just be the best solution. There was a layout in one of the Railway Modeller annuals which took a similar approach to the 00/18mm dilemma. The builder had worked in P4 for some years but wanted somewhere to run 00 RTR stock for family members, So it was two double track main lines that appeared to connect at a junction station. They didn't, as one loop was P4 the other 00. It looked so good in the photo spread that you had to ask did his work in P4 really make that much difference to the appearance.
I can envisage an exhibition layout with split levels where connection between the two is via a cassette in the offscene area.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

b308 wrote:. Now where's Chris and his layout planning software!
I am working, but slowly.

Double looped 8 gives a great run for two trains but the space used eats up capacity to store and swap trains.
I have an idea or two there, and am exploring what goods capacity can be included.
Trying for double track curves of R3/R4 also takes space.

A simpler double oval at mid-level (with at least one lay-by loop at main station to act as two-way terminal apart from anything else ) would leave more room for a mainly mineral (mine/quarry) high level to (docks /wharf) low level line which would be largely independent, giving three train operation, but with a connection to the main line for short passenger services

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Thanks Chris,
Double looped 8 gives a great run for two trains but the space used eats up capacity to store and swap trains.
That's what I found too, I was originally trying to fit some storage loops under the upper station but then realised that any derailments would be a pain for a "Small Controller", and also it was a challenge to fit in the length of Flying Scotsman and four coaches (51") + wriggle room for stopping I figured 12". Then I had my own Eureka moment that I could put the storage loops on the diagonal table where they could be seen and easily stopped/dispatched by the younger generation.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

NedFlanders wrote:Then I had my own Eureka moment that I could put the storage loops on the diagonal table where they could be seen and easily stopped/dispatched by the younger generation.
I'm looking at getting a little more length there, with two adjacent and level tracks that can have platforms (or one Island platform) as a reason for parking passenger trains.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."