Heljan HS4000 "Kestrel"

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Heljan HS4000 "Kestrel"

Post by GWR_fan »

I denied myself the pleasure of one of these as I felt that they were too expensive. The current price new has not altered for some years. Fortunately, an as new model was located for half current retail so I snapped it up. Apart from the rather bland bogie sideframes, the model is superb. It does not have the fancy see through grilles but I still like it.

A particular attraction is the replacement end pilot cowling so that one is able to have a fully detailed pilot at one end and a plain pilot to facilitate a coupler. A Hornby NEM was fitted and it came to the correct height to couple to Hornby rolling stock. If needed the 'spare' detailed cowl may be refitted. A very smooth powerful and quiet runner.

Now I see a "Falcon" somewhere in my future.
Bigmet

Re: Heljan HS4000 "Kestrel"

Post by Bigmet »

The Falcon model appears to have been the most popular of their CoCo prototype offerings, probably thanks to the much longer and more varied service history, so you will probably find a s/h example quite easily. Watch out for detached bufferbeams, something of a constructional weakness. Some folks argue over the Brush colour scheme representation on the model, but I saw the thing in its early ER operational days, and it was an 'interesting' colour scheme which varied tonally with the ambient light. It looked very odd indeed with the Pullman cars it was often seen hauling, well, judge for yourself...

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_feature_424.php
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Two tone cow s**t :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It was a time for weird livery choices. BRCW's 'Lion' - essentially in white - another notably whacky choice.

English Electric must have been very confident of DP2's qualities selling itself with no need for a fancy livery scheme, as it took much the same treatment that BR had applied to the production Deltics. None of the pizzazz of the French Blue scheme on DP1: now that to me remains the zinger! I was gobsmacked when I first saw it, to this day the only diesel design that could just about compete for interest with the Doncaster wide firebox locos it ran among for a couple of years.
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

Bigmet wrote:
English Electric must have been very confident of DP2's qualities selling itself with no need for a fancy livery scheme, as it took much the same treatment that BR had applied to the production Deltics. .
Even simpler from the start, just the plain green overall
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:It was a time for weird livery choices. BRCW's 'Lion' - essentially in white - another notably whacky choice.

English Electric must have been very confident of DP2's qualities selling itself with no need for a fancy livery scheme, as it took much the same treatment that BR had applied to the production Deltics. None of the pizzazz of the French Blue scheme on DP1: now that to me remains the zinger! I was gobsmacked when I first saw it, to this day the only diesel design that could just about compete for interest with the Doncaster wide firebox locos it ran among for a couple of years.
I'm just thinking right now about two marine deltic power units safely sat in store in Warrington. Maybe one day.......... :wink:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The Deltic was never pushed anywhere near its limit in service in either of its Navy or rail applications. A late colleague and friend who had commenced his engineering career with Napier told me that on the basis of a series of tests it could have produced 'burst power' close to 6,000 bhp, a fifteen minute sustained 4,000 bhp, and continuous 3,000 bhp. The major challenges were cooling for the sustained and continuous outputs, while the 'burst power' (only for the fast attack boat application to provide perhaps thirty seconds 'all or nothing' output to outrun an enemy) was limited by the then available metallurgy for the conrods; with immediate 'engine out' for full overhaul assuming the boat had survived to reach port.

However the gas turbine was maturing fast, and it was evident that all this and more could be delivered with none of the reliability and heavy service requirement of the diesel, so it wasn't proceeded with.