masking tape residue removal

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
End2end

masking tape residue removal

Post by End2end »

I masked the windows completly on a Hornby 4 - wheel coach to spray the roof but the tape has left some residue on the windows.
Whats the best way to remove / clean the windows without damaging them please?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Re: masking tape residue removal

Post by Bufferstop »

If a remember rightly the windows and roof of the 4W coach are a one piece moulding which can be removed by carefully squeezing in the windows on each side. Once out of the coach a rub with IPA on a cloth should remove the residue.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

Many thanks Bufferstop. I can get on with that now. :)
Yes the window/roof part has been removed to spray thus the masking off.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

A word of warning: IPA can and does attack some plastics, so test first on an inconspicuous area.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
End2end

Post by End2end »

Will do.
Thanks Tony
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Masking Tape residue .......... Something many masking tapes can leave
behind. I tend to keep to Tamiya tape, not cheap, but can't recall having
any glue residue coming off during removal.
Currently looking at 16" of masking to gravel the edge to a road before I
add grass scatters.

Not much help on your current problem, but for the future ?

Geoff T.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Methylated spirits will remove adhesives and is as a general rule safe with plastics, including transparencies. That said, always test first.

Turpentine, solvent based paint thinners or orange or eucyalptus oils whilst superb adhesive removers, are a no-no on plastic.

For future reference. Always pay the premium for quality masking, be it Gunze (Mr Hobby), Tamiya, Bear, 3M, Scotch. They use adhesives that stick uniformly right up to the edges and well thus minimising risk of edge bleed, but remove cleanly. Pound shop generics and brands carried by supermarkets e.g. Cling, use rubbish adhesives that frequently stick too aggressively which will leave residue or detached partially remnants of the adhesive on the work upon attempted removal if left in situ for any time.

An easy peel to remove alternative is to use a latex brush applied liquid mask like Microscale Micro Mask. Humbrol's is Maskol, but I haven't used it for an age and didn't think much of it when I did. Microscale products OTOH, like Tamiyas, are always first rate.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Like Keiron, I use methylated spirits for removing any residue. I found it also removes uncured epoxy resin from the model boat I am currently building. As far as masking tapes go I also only use quality tapes. My favourite at present is a blue painters tape (3M?). It is able to remain on for up to two weeks and also leaves a crisp separation line for two tone paint schemes.
End2end

Post by End2end »

I used IPA, testing as suggested on an inconspicuous part first.
Done the job. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

In terms of its properties meths and IPA aren't that different. The blue dye in meths is there to give it a smell and render it undrinkable. If it weren't for that you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
SRman

Post by SRman »

Blu-tack!

Roll a wad of Blu-tack around on the residue. It should progressively pick up the remnants until they are all clear.

This also works for the sticky residue price tags leave on things like books and CD/DVDs.
Last edited by SRman on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Bufferstop wrote:In terms of its properties meths and IPA aren't that different. The blue dye in meths is there to give it a smell and render it undrinkable. If it weren't for that you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart.
Downunder we do not refer to it as IPA. Also there is no colouring added so the liquid is clear. Meths is the preferred drink of choice for those whom society has abandoned. They apparently mix it with orange juice. Odd that they drink meths but are referred to as "on the turps". Turps references mineral turpentine which is a definite no-no on plastics (or for consumption).
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

So....

Meths = Drunk by incurable alcoholics
IPA = Drunk by Discerning beer drinkers (IPA being of course "India Pale Ale") :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Bufferstop wrote:In terms of its properties meths and IPA aren't that different. The blue dye in meths is there to give it a smell and render it undrinkable. If it weren't for that you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart.
Methylated spirits is dyed purple in AU these days John, although some brands have recently restarted retail reselling it in clear liquid form as it was back in the early 1960s. Must be a another recent legislative change. IPA is not generally available on retail shelves in AU. If wanted, it has to be alternatively sourced. It costs an arm and a leg locally compared to meths.

You already know the chemical composition diff. of course. 5% methanol (poisonous) in meths as an oral consumption deterrent. The dye is merely to facilitate identification. Methanol is clear unless a dye is added. I've used it in full size turboprobs with water meth injection and regularly bought it in bulk 20 litre drums for personal use in RC IC model engines for many years. "Shell A Racing Fuel" is an example of a proprietary methanol which also has a small amount of acetone additive, about 3% if memory serves, is dyed purple.

Blue dye over here is reserved for/indicates lighting grade kerosene. Avtur is clear. Turpentine is sold clear, as are lacquer, enamel and general purpose thinners. Retail liquid degreaser solvent hydrocarbon in retail packaging is frequently dyed green.