Smallbrook Studios "ARES"

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Beynac

Smallbrook Studios "ARES"

Post by Beynac »

Hello there,
Did anyone build a Smallbrook Studios 1:35 Loco Conversion Kit 'ARES' ? Many thanks for all your advices.
You could also watch a photo of this loco HERE
I'm just a guy who wants to play with his toys. Image
Mountain

Re: Smallbrook Studios "ARES"

Post by Mountain »

I have not but I have built other kits from Small brook Studio which to build are very similar. The kits are made from cast resin which I have found to be a beautiful material to work with. The resin needs superglue to glue the parts. It is easily shaped with a file. Any mistakes can be corrected by using modelling clay like das or similar.
I recommend them. Try one and see what you think!
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

When I made up the Smalbrook Studio rake of ex-LBSCR 4-wheeled coaches, I bought a Lidl cordless multi-grinder (which has a lot of other tools such as drill bits with it), and found it extremely useful. The resin parts sometimes need a little work, which could have been done by hand tools; I found easier and neater to do it with the cordless tool. The kits were a lot easier to do than either white metal or brass.
Beynac

Post by Beynac »

Thanks for all your answers Gentlemen. Very helpful.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

IMG_20170417_174332.jpg
You could scratchbuild a body instead like this one I've made in 0-16.5. Its not quite finished yet. I'm happy as it is the first time my pics have worked on this site! :mrgreen:
Beynac

Post by Beynac »

I will be happy too if I could make a loco like this one.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is relatively simple to make Baynac. It looks more complicated then it actually is. The chimney is an old fountain pen ink cartridge. The cab is made from plasticard. The windows are from any old thin plastic from food or similar containers. I stuck them on the inside and carefully painted to make it look like they are windows and the paint disguises the overlap which I needed to apply the glue to!
The pressure gauge is an old watch battery suitably painted. The roof has a closed vent which is represented by sandwiching thin plasticard between a pair of stiff wires from a paperclip. The roof itself is plasticard which has been armed by leaving it in a cup of boiling water, bringing it out and bending and re-immersing etc.
The name and number plates are made from aluminium drinks can fed through an old label printer which used to have rolls of plastic labeling material to use with it.
The couplings that I've not added yet will be made from drawing pins and paper clips.... Will show a PIC of another loco which has such a coupling... Need to take a picture first.... :mrgreen:
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Here is a Smallbrook Studio Clio kit named "Ruthy" which I added coal bunkers and has a Triang metal chassis with a modern Hornby motor, wheels, rods, motor and gears. It wasn't an easy conversion!
IMG_20170822_150459.jpg
The next pick of the rear of the loco are to show the home made couplings. First PIC is in the normal position.
IMG_20170822_150739.jpg
The second is in the raised position which can be used for shunting if desired, the method being to bang into a wagon or coach so the bar drops over the other coupling.
IMG_20170822_150806.jpg
The collar round the drawing pin where it enters the bufferbeams is simply made from a straw from a GT85 or WD40 can.
Beynac

Post by Beynac »

Nice work. Maybe one day I'll build a teapot like yours...Who knows ?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I think the best way to gauge how one is progressing in ones modelling, is if one has learned how to correct ones mistakes, then one is starting to get good at what one does! :lol:
Beynac

Post by Beynac »

To make it short: I still have a lot of work to do and a lot of things to learn. No problemo, I already know that.
Back to the workbench ! :lol: :lol:
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

So do I. :lol: