Wagon type

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
shunter68

Wagon type

Post by shunter68 »

I have just received my BR 0-6-0T 'Departmental No.14' J50 Class - Late BR engine but I'm stuck on what type of wagons this engine would have shunted around the yard. Any help please. :)
luckymucklebackit

Re: Wagon type

Post by luckymucklebackit »

No 14 was a Doncaster Works loco, so would have moved any wagons, coaches or other locomotives around the works and associated sidings. So I hope you have started your model of the Crimpsall works :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

4 wheel goods vans springs to mind as a commonly used wagon for various parts to be conveyed..... Depends on where it was needed. Open ballast wagons? Just thinking of general use. Don't know the specific use of the loco but departmental locos usually would be used for trackwork repairs and then like so could pull loads like ballast, sleepers, rails, waste rails, ballast or sleepers, weed killing trains, a rail based crane, workmen's vans or for out of area jobs they had old coaches or vans converted with beds and living accommodation etc.
I'm just thinking of what departmental locos would pull in the 1980's from pics I've seen. I'm guessing things would have been similar in steam days.
shunter68

Post by shunter68 »

Thanks Mountain they did move quite a lot of different things and with a variety of wagons, I cant go wrong with the wagons you and Jim have mentioned a great help. :wink:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Because they were allocated to a major works, they would move around all the many types of locomotive or vehicle built, overhauled or broken up for scrap there; and the wagons bringing in supplies and to remove waste. A major part of their work while carrying this livery was taking locos and tenders to the scrap lines... (Doncaster was the efficient works, that's why so few LNER locos made it to preservation by lingering in a scrap merchant's yard for years after withdrawal. They built them, and once withdrawn they broke them up: job's not finished until you have 'cleaned up afterwards'.)
senorsenales

Post by senorsenales »

Departmental locos were normally used off the main lines in particular locations. I lived for many years at Wolverton where there were a number of departmental locos in the ex LNWR 0-6-0's which used to push and pull coaching stock around the internal works rail system. They never went out onto the mainline and were replaced by Jinties when they finally got worn out.

Likewise PWM652 a diesel shunter was used at the engineers sidings at Reading, and no 33 the Stratford Works shunter. I believe there was another at the Hayes creosote depot in West London, as well as a number of others around the country.

Always a challenge for a spotter to find these things as they were not easily seen.
shunter68

Post by shunter68 »

Thanks for all the info regarding what duties this engine carried and it gives me a lot of scope to what wagons and carts to purchase. Then of course I with be dabbling in weathering of these loco's and wagons. :)
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:Because they were allocated to a major works, they would move around all the many types of locomotive or vehicle built, overhauled or broken up for scrap there; and the wagons bringing in supplies and to remove waste. A major part of their work while carrying this livery was taking locos and tenders to the scrap lines... (Doncaster was the efficient works, that's why so few LNER locos made it to preservation by lingering in a scrap merchant's yard for years after withdrawal. They built them, and once withdrawn they broke them up: job's not finished until you have 'cleaned up afterwards'.)
Plus Yorkshire scrap yards were feeding vast amounts of scrap into the many steel works. Nothing lasted more than a few weeks. If only Dai had lived in Rotherham...... :D