OO Shed Layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
IanM558

Re: OO Shed Layout

Post by IanM558 »

Surely someone must have some advice that will help me? :?:
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

So what you have in that last plan is a locomotive depot that looks reasonable enough, and a double track main line that has a bit missing down at the bottom left hand straight (presumably a mistake). Some people are quite happy with a depot layout, but if you want a continuous run you are going to need a few sidings to store stock.

I think you need to take stock of what it is you want to achieve, do you just want to watch the trains run round or are you looking for something more complex, I would suggest having a look at some of the plans books that are around for some inspiration. I started off with C.J. Freezer as my inspiration although I fully appreciate the limitations of taking his diagrams literally, you need to use them as a basis and develop around that.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

The bit missing was just there as I wasn't concentrating on the main line for the moment, just the depot.

I had a bit of a think last night and have come up with this.

Plan2 by Ian, on Flickr

The dead-end piece on the far left will go to a small goods yard / sidings.
The set of points that looks like it leads nowhere at the bottom of the layout will lead to a lower level fiddle yard located under the engine shed where I can store stock and just run them up onto the layout as I feel like it.

ImagePlan2_Lower by Ian, on Flickr
luckymucklebackit

That looks better, but a couple of comments - the gradient down to the hidden sidings needs to be watched. Given that you need to drop at least 4" to get below the baseboard and supports givens you a gradient that I calculate to be around 1:30 which is approaching the very maximum that a loco will haul a decent load, I would aim for nearer 1:45 to be on the safe side. Try moving the turnout further along the bottom straight and start the drop there, you might also want to move the trailing crossover to the other side of that turnout to prevent having wrong line working. Secondly bring your low level sidings closer to the operating well so that you have ease of access to correct derailments etc, also make your sidings longer, you can never have too much capacity in a fiddle yard and as it will be the first bit you build you want to do it now, it is a great regret on my layout that I didn't lay more sidings under the layout when I had the chance, it is very difficult to do it later.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

Thanks for the comments, I had thought about adding more sidings to the lower level so will take a look at how that would work.
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

I think I'm going to do away with the line down to the fiddle yard. It's proving a major headache to get the gradient right and the sidings longer.
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

Well, what have I done in the last 5 months? Absolutely nothing that's what!

Apart from rip up the double oval which now means I can't run anything at all :(

I've lost track of the amount of times I've sat with my head in my hands having screwed up yet another track plan which just won't fit.

I'm desperate to get the layout built but I just don't have a clue where to begin really!
luckymucklebackit

Why not try buying a track plan book, some of them have good plans. Then adapt to exactly what you want

Jim
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

I think that might be the way forward to be honest. Who would have thought a 12' length of board would be so difficult to fit things in!

I am thinking that my choice of train length and therefore platform length is causing me the most headaches. To get a platform length of loco and 4 coaches between the 2 sets of crossover points before having to fit the 3rd and 4th radius curves on the end is probably a step too far.
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

Well, two track plan books arrived in the post yesterday and as far as I'm concerned they were a waste of money.

All the plans have features in all corners of the layout whether it be stations, points or suchlike. The problem is I can't have that as that is where the lift out section for the door to the shed is.

I desperately want to build this layout but the way my head hurts when trying to think of a plan I might as well give up.
Kavster

Post by Kavster »

Hello mate,

I'm still pretty new to this, so take this with a pinch of salt!

Also, note that I have just quickly drawn this up, and although it is to scale with the measurments you gave. It'll need some expanding. You'll need to add some more points in now doubt (the two running loops arn't even connected for example), and probably change a few things (maybe add a branch line?) But, hopefully this will give you some more ideas at least!

Firslty, I don't even know if this is possible, but consider adding a board across the middle. Either diaganally like this one or even vertical up and down?
I've kept it the same width as you're other boards, but you can even make it wider or thinner and use it in another way.

Just be careful if you join the track up at both ends, as it'll probably need a reverse loop wiring!

I've also given you both some shunting and sidings areas similar to my design, but feel free to change this in anyway!

Lastly, I've used 2nd and 3rd radius curves so there should no problems in running your HST at a bit of speed!

Anyway, hope this helps!

End2end

Post by End2end »

Forget the track planning for a while if it's doing your head in and think about what you want on the layout beyond the track itself.
I already had buildings made before I even had a layout to put them on. :lol:

Passengers. You'll need at least one station with platforms long enough for your longest train to let the passengers board or disembark.
Freight. But which end of the process? A mine / quarry / brewery perhaps. Or model the other end where the freight is loaded or unloaded to/from road vehicles, or freight wagons stored in a freight yard.
Servicing. An engine shed or maintenance depot building perhaps?
Roads. How will they fit into any design. Bridges over tracks or underneath? Parallel roads alongside the railway?
Local populas. Where will they live? What convienencies do they need like local shops / post office etc?
Flora and fauna and geology. What kinds?
Era. What era are you wanting to model or perhaps several giving you unlimited choice of items.

With the DC/DCC option I'll say this.
Some with experieince say DC wiring is just as easy as DCC wiring.
All I'll say is that DCC gives you more options than DC due to it's multiplicity.
This includes being able to run multiple locos on the same track without track breaks / isolation sections (unless you want them), sound equipped locos and the aiblity to change the way the speed control works in terms of acceleration or slow running speed curves.

Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

Thank you for your comments.

I am planning to go DCC. Obviously at the moment all my stuff is DC but I've decided to plan for DCC as I can see it is going to be better in the long run.

Saying that I did come up with a little idea of running a separate DC end to end line with terminus stations around 3 sides of the shed which could form a sort of heritage line which I could run my existing stock. I would then have a double track DCC loop inside of that around all 4 sides with through platforms on the two DC terminus stations if that makes sense!!????

I would like an engine shed somewhere but I will have to work that out.

I do have some ideas in my head but it is going to have to wait until I get home from work to draw them up and explain what I mean!

I've ripped up the two loops I did have down as I plan to raise the level of the track up so I can use the Metcalfe Viaduct and the Scenecraft Rail over Road bridge I purchased to save everything being on a flat surface. I figured it was easier to run the track over something than make something run over the track.

Oh, and I AM going to get a canal in there somewhere.

I think before I was obsessed with the large 'Everard Junction' and similar layouts with long trains going past at speed and need to shrink my ideas down into something which while may not be prototypical I can get enjoyment playing trains and building up the scenic elements.
IanM558

Post by IanM558 »

As usual life got in the way and I was unable to scribble down some ideas yesterday evening but will try my best to do some this evening.

Just as an idea on constructing the layout, I'm going to build it out of 4' x 2' ply boards (I already have 8 cut). I was thinking it might help my "oh my god I don't know where to start" moments if I were to lay the track and buildings over one or two boards at a time, slowly progressing around the shed. Would that seem sensible to anyone?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very sensible.